13 week old chicks help me confirm genders

sonomachx

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
These chicks are now 13 weeks old. They were purchased as one day old pullet chicks through our local feed store. I am fairly certain the Americauna (Easter Egger) is a cockerel and the Black Australorp is a pullet. The Speckled Sussex is keeping me guessing. Its comb is lighter than the others, but the tail feathers are concerning. What do you think? We live in the city and cannot have roosters. So far I have not heard any crowing. They live in a coop but are currently separated from our mature hens. I hope to introduce everyone together soon. I plan to post an ad on Craigslist for the Easter Egger this week.

I would be a little worried about the SS. My light sussex hen, who's 18 weeks today had a bit of comb and wattle at that age, but the tail is a little worrying. Give it a few weeks. Don't know a lot about EE's and I think your lorp is a cute little hen!

Thanks for the replies and input. The EE is starting to get pointy saddle feathers. I haven't seen any on the Sussex yet, I am keeping my fingers crossed we won't have to re-home him/her. We have a mature 1 year old Australorp hen that is our best layer. The new one looks just like our older girl did at this age.

Back
Top Bottom