13 week old mix breed.....hen or roo? hasn't made a sound yet either

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by my3bratz2008, Jun 27, 2011.

1. my3bratz2008

my3bratz2008 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Wurtsboro
    This is a Lt Brahma (daddy) mixed with BJG/SLW (mommy)....it's pic is first, secondand third and then pics of parents....the neck feathers are not pointed, and the comb has been slow growing (almost same height from when it was 6wks old as in 3rd pic)...the markings are very cool, so if its a she, girl= stay, boy = new home

As of today at 13 wks old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    at 6 wks old
    [​IMG]
    Mickey D...lt brahma daddy
    [​IMG]
    Violet...BJG/SLW X...mommy
    [​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    With that much red at that young of age... 100% rooster.

3. my3bratz2008

my3bratz2008 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Wurtsboro
    I thought for sure it would be a girl considering it has rounded feathers on neck...and if you look at the picture of the mom who was 16wks old there, she has a lot of red.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    My roosters start getting pointed feathers when they're about 17 weeks old, +/-. I'll be interested to see more pics then. [​IMG]

5. Vora

Vora Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Well, you've got a mixed breed so... it's harder to judge. If it were pure BJG, I'd say for sure rooster, because they develop so slowly, so red this early would equal roo.

However, you've got the quicker growers in there too, and many of my SLW hens had red at that point. I'm actually leaning toward female, but could we get better pictures from the side, for saddle feathers, perhaps?

6. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    I know this is going off at a tangent but if daddy is the white roo in the front of the picture is he definitely a full Brahma? I only mention it because I can't see any feathering on his legs and it might affect peoples opinion as to deciding if you have a pullet or roo.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  7. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I thought dad looked like a light sussex. He has clean legs, doesn't he?

8. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Sorry bustermommy I think I edited that to mention about his legs just as you were typing yours [​IMG] Yes thats what I was thinking about his legs. I was wondering if you can see a slight amount of feathering on his feet but I have a brahma pullet and I cant even see what colour her legs are they are so feathery, she is 7 weeks. Aren't Brahmas combs a lot smaller than thet too?

9. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Quote:The Pea combs on vigorous males can be pretty big, and although the shanks are obscured by vegetation in the photos the teenager in question does have feathered shanks. So of that roo doesn't have feathered shanks there is a milkman dad somewhere on property that does [​IMG] .
    Here is a picture of our 2 year old Light Brahma Bindi (she chipped her top beak a week ago, so please ignore the blemish) Very nice, calm chicken:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  10. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Here is a picture of my 13 week old Dark Brahma for comparison. She has matured very quickly and got the deepest cluck I've ever heard maybe around 8 weeks and was pinking up pretty early on too. She is the sweetest cuddly chicken we've had.
    [​IMG]

As for the 'pullet' in question, the comb does seem pretty big, but it may be due to the JG influence. I am on the fence but leaning pullet for now. She is very pretty and I would want to keep her too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by