13 week old silkies gender? Lots of pics!

Megin Tennessee

Chirping
Mar 9, 2020
Indiana
Hello all! I've got 3 silkies-13 weeks old now- can you help me figure out who's who? I THINK the first one is a boy, but 2 and 3 I just can't figure out. Thanks for your help!

#1 I think this is a boy, he's also very big! The same size as my orpingtons and wyandotte that are the same age, if silkies mature slower he's going to be huge for a silkie, lol. He's also got waddles already and his comb is bigger.
View attachment 2162545View attachment 2162546View attachment 2162550View attachment 2162552View attachment 2162554View attachment 2162558

#2 Not sure about this one at all, it's also bigger than I'd expect for a silkie but smaller than #1.
View attachment 2162595
View attachment 2162597View attachment 2162600View attachment 2162601View attachment 2162606

#3 This is the smallest one, and also has the smallest crest and the comb looks like a very small, flat single comb.
View attachment 2162607View attachment 2162608View attachment 2162621View attachment 2162623View attachment 2162628View attachment 2162629

Silkies are so hard to tell :barnie! I think you are right about #1 being a cockerel, #2 could be either or, Im thinking pullet, some of my silkies looked like that at this age and turned out to be hens! #3 looks like a pullet to me as well since its smaller with less comb/wattles. I guessyou will just have to know for sure when they start crowing or laying eggs.:)

Silkies are so hard to tell :barnie! I think you are right about #1 being a cockerel, #2 could be either or, Im thinking pullet, some of my silkies looked like that at this age and turned out to be hens! #3 looks like a pullet to me as well since its smaller with less comb/wattles. I guessyou will just have to know for sure when they start crowing or laying eggs.:)

These silkies and my polish have been SO HARD to figure out! I had it in the back of my mind that 2 and 3 were pullets but I didn't want to jinx it,lol. That second one almost looks like it has streamers in its crest from one view but then I look from another side and it looks nice and even!

These silkies and my polish have been SO HARD to figure out! I had it in the back of my mind that 2 and 3 were pullets but I didn't want to jinx it,lol. That second one almost looks like it has streamers in its crest from one view but then I look from another side and it looks nice and even!
I guessed and guessed with mine then I finally gave up and waited for crowing!:lau

Back
Top Bottom