13 Week Old Silver Laced Wyandottes Roo or Hen?

MommaYoung

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 21, 2014
Reno, Nevada
Hello everybody, new chicken Mommy here. These are our two silver laced Wyandottes. One looks suspiciously like a rooster but hasn't crowed yet.

On the left is Dixie on the right was supposed to be poquita. I'm only worried because here in Reno, NV we aren't zoned for roosters.

Here is poquita's (?) comb up close.

This is Dixie, she is the youngest. We got them all at the same time (6/19) but she was clearly the littlest.

Here are all my girls. They kept begging to come in the house. I call them people chickens, but what do I know, Im new at this.

Here are both chickens and I could swear even Dixie's tail feathers are starting to dangle.

Please help the sooner I know the sooner I can plan if I need to find him a new home.

Thanks,

Anjanette
@MommaYoung

I am a new chicken mama myself, so only can tell my recent experience. I bought four chicks, supposedly all female, one being a silver laced wyandotte. The others were a golden laced wyandotte, a colombian wyandotte, and a welsummer. Last week, at 17 weeks, the silver wyandotte made a half-choking, half-crowing sound. Turns out she was a he! Being inexperienced, I wasn't sure, but the signs he showed were his comb was much more developed than the others, he was bigger, and his tail feathers were longer and had a blue/black/green sheen to them. We aren't allowed roos either, so he we gave him to my husband's aunt. It wouldn't hurt to have a back-up plan ready, just in case. Good luck!

barnie.gif
LOL Thank you @StewedMammal & @laylalee64 Guess I just needed to hear it from someone else

Last edited:
Google pics of a SLW roo vs a hen. That helped confirm it for me. The coloring is different and the tail is longer and more curled. That and the iridescent blue/black/green sheen in the tail. He also acted more dominant than the others, bossing them around. Bottom line for me was I can't have anything crowing. I got mine from "My Pet Chicken" and they guaranteed the sex, so they refunded my money on him. You only have so long until you can get one, though. Good luck! It was sad for me to lose one of my babies!

Back
Top Bottom