13 week olds sleep in a pile! ??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CANDLE98, Mar 25, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    My 13 week old chicks do not roost, they all sleep in a pile in the corner behind our feeder. Is this okay for them to do? There are 14 of them and two of them are silkies, I guess they just all love each other!

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

What size/type/height roost do you have?

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Or they think it's too cool in the room/brooder you have them in to perch. Have they ever perched/roosted? What's their temp? They should have adapted but some birds adapt more slowly.

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have 14 bantams that are nearly a year old that prefered to do this for at LEAST 5 months [​IMG] They were not too cold, loved their roost, etc.....they just all would pile randomly in a corner to sleep. Drove me NUTS! They did quit though, after I started going out after dark and picking them up and putting them on a roost or in a tree. It took several nights of moving them all, though.

5. CANDLE98

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    So I am going to have to go out after dark and move them? Nah I think I will let them figure it out. They climb all over the roost during the day, I guess they just really love each other!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Can you post some pics?

7. CANDLE98

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Yeah I will take some pictures tonight. I think it's really funny!

8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    My 1yr old australorp hens have never truly roosted. They still don't. The roost is at the right height and above the nest boxes. But they prefer to sleep together, at the door of their coop no-less. Silly birds. But hey, it works for them and they are happy and healthy. So I figure it doesn't really matter that much how they prefer to sleep, so long as they are not sick or uncomfortable.

9. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    our five MONTH old NN's and D'anver to this day DO NOT know how to use the roosts, they either sleep behind the coop door like they have since they were on the very bottom of the pecking order as younger birds, or UNDER the roosts in a pile on the floor.

they will play on the perches outside in the pen, but they still won't sleep on them

10. jipjip

jipjip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    New Zealand
    When I first got chickens I made a beautiful coop just like all the books recommended with draft free perching area but guess what? They nearly all prefer perching in the trees unless it is raining really hard. So much for draft-free...

The one silky that we did have did not know how to perch and I would find her asleep by herself on the ground outside under a tree.

I'd love to see a photo of yours all together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by