13 wk old unable to swallow, tongue down throat~Advice?? Update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hen-at-home, Jun 26, 2010.

1. hen-at-home

hen-at-home Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    North Central MA
    Yesterday I noticed in the morning that my Rooster (well, we think it's a Rooster) was walking around with his mouth open. I could hear him breathing when I was close to him and he wasn't eating or drinking. He seemed dazed. I had free ranged them the previous day, so I thought he had something stuck in his throat. His crop was empty. I picked him up and felt his crop and his throat and didn't feel anything. I got a dropper and gave him some water. I did this several times. I would put him down and he'd walk away, he'd make noise. I'd pick him up and give him some more water. In a bit he seemed better and wanted to go back with the flock ( i had him alone in the run and the girls were outside free ranging and he was pacing the run fence, attempting to join them). Later that same day he was with the girls and I saw him picking at greens and scratch although he seemed to pick up the scratch grain and keep dropping it and then doing that again. I think he finally ate some. I watched him eating scratch in the run later. But before I put them to bed he roosted on the lower roost which is away from the rest of the flock and his crop was empty, or almost empty when I quickly got an examine of it in while he was roosting. He also would "sit" more often during the day than the others, but he didn't seem lethargic.

Let me note that day before yesterday, which was just prior to this odd behavior, I introduced grower pellets which he ate more of than any of the others. The others didn't seem to take to them. Others kept picking them up and dropping them, so I put the mash back in the feeder along with just a few pellets. I note that just in case it matters, which I doubt, but Rooster (we'll call him/her that for now) was fine previous to the pellet introduction.

Today, he looks just like he did yesterday morning. Walks around with mouth open, feathers slightly puffed. I again gave him several dropperfuls of water and also a half dropperful of olive oil. He wants to eat as he is picking up scratch and dropping it. I put some mash in my hand and he went eagerly for it at first but is not swallowing it very well. I felt his throat under his beak and as far as I can feel on his neck and all I notice is what feels like a tendon that runs from one ear to the other ear (I say ear, but I have no idea if it's connected to the ear, just right in that location) in a U type shape. I felt the other hens and I don't feel this. Is this unique to Roosters? I can't manipulate it, ie: turn it, and it feels just like a thin wire (but I imagine tendon) under the skin. That U shape thing really doesn't feel abnormal, except that none of my other hens have it, but what do I know about normal anyway!

He "sits" often. Isn't making much noise. Seems tired, as he occasionally blinks slowly. When I put the water in his mouth I can see him swallow. Then sometimes I can hear a slight gurgle sound.

We're pretty sure he is a rooster, and were planning on giving him away, (have someone who will take him) but I want to do what's best for him now.

Please share your advice if you have some. Thank you very much!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. hen-at-home

hen-at-home Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    North Central MA
    Update:

It seems that there is a swelling of some kind in his throat above that "tendon" type thing I talked about in my first post which is causing his tongue to shrink back down his throat. He can't swallow because he can't use his tongue. He is hungry and tries to eat, but can't push food down. I have given him two doses of tea tree oil (two very small drops in approximately - slightly more than - 2.5ml of water) After the first dose I saw improvement and watched him eat at the feeder, with less difficulty than previous eating attempts, but not full ease. A couple hours later, before bed, I gave him a second dose which I spilled a lot of because he was much more feisty this time. I also gave him a small amount of liquified hard boiled egg yolk and a bit more water before bed. Tonight he roosted on the same roost as the other birds which is a good sign, I think.

If anyone can tell me if these symptoms sound like a disease, please do let me know. He is not quarantined at this point and a gut feeling is telling me I'm going to regret that. [​IMG] Probably because I'm so looking forward to our first eggs and all I can imagine is losing the flock.

3. YonkFarm

YonkFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Sutton, Nebraska
    Hi...I wanted to comment here in addition to my private message to you that the symptoms you describe here are exactly like those Gladys had, except I never saw her even try to eat on her own. The gurgling and everything else you describe sounds the same. I just wish I could help in some way, but unfortunately we never did find out what was wrong with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by