13 Years ago today........

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lockedhearts, Jan 18, 2010.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    My Middle Uncle died of Cancer. My Aunt posted on Facebook about it and it got me to thinking.
    As much as I miss him and as sad as I am he is not still here.
    I feel extremely blessed, I was able to grow up with so much of my family around, I had Great Great Grandparents alive formuch of my childhood.
    It is sad that there are so many people around that never knew their Grandparents or hardly any of there family.
    I guess I am getting old and looking at things differently but seriously how lucky was I to have had such a close relationship with my family members? I am not saying that all the times I spent with my Middle Uncle and Oldest Uncle before they passed away was good, believe me, back in the day they both drank pretty heavy and there were some not so great times. But luckily they both made their way back to God before they died.
    I know that Okie and Ronald are both watching over all of us and waiting for the rest of us to join them !

Yes, I am blessed, I have and have had family that loves me!!!!!

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I was thinking about this the other day myself.

I grew up knowing my grandparents and great grandparents as well as aunts and great aunts. Today at the age of 40 I still have one set of grandparents living as well as a large handful of great aunts and uncles that I keep in touch with regularly. I am blessed to have relationships with cousins, 2nd cousins and 3rd cousins.

Families are amazing!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Funny how much we appreciate people and events more as we age... My grandpa will be 99 on Feb. 4, is as sharp as a tack, still lives on his own and drives himself around, and still works his land on his tractor in warmer months. He was just "grandpa" when I was growing up. Now I feel blessed in really getting to know him and his experiences over the past almost 100 yrs.

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I just think that a lot of the time, when an "anniversary" date like this comes up we tend to focus on the loss, not the time we had with that person.
    I know that neither my Uncles, Grandparents, Great Grandparents or friends that I have lost would want me to be sad, they would want me to be happy, so I decided focusing on what I did have was a much better way to look at things.

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I agree, I am guilty of that. My sister died two years ago this month and it IS easier to focus on the loss. But I find when I think of the good times in the past it helps.
    Those of us with loving families are very lucky, however long we have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by