13week old roo attacking adult hen

yomama

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
outside, except when I'm inside
I have a group of 5, 13 week old chicks, one in which turned out to be a rooster. He is a Blue Andalusian. About 2 months ago, I integrated these guys with my other hens, and rooster, all over a year old, They have all been getting along just fine, until recently. My 13 week old Blue Andalusian rooster is really picking on my older Rhode Island Red bantam hen. He chases her and pulls on her back feathers. He doesn't try to mount her, nor does he bother any of the other hens, old or young. I thought maybe sexual maturity? but he is only 13 weeks old? She will scream and run, and our other rooster does nothing to protect her. She is lowest in rank with the older group, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any idea what to is going on? I really don't want my hen to get hurt

He's not attacking her. He's ready to mate and she's wants no part of him. When I integrated my roo in with older hens, he worked his way up the pecking order one hen at a time. Some of them took a while before letting him mate.

Quote:
My roos were trying to mate at 10 weeks old and they are LF brahmas, a late maturing breed. Of course the pullets wanted no part of it at the age. Chaos ensued.

Back
Top Bottom