1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

14-15 WK Old Silver Laced Wyandotte

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PreChickenLady, Oct 24, 2015.

1. PreChickenLady

PreChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2015
    This is my 14-15 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte, Nuggets. I am wondering if Nuggets is really a she or rather a he. I also have a Golden Laced Wyandotte, Lacy, and she looks much different from Nuggets. Nuggets has a much more pronounced wattle and comb.
    I did order this chick along with 5 others from an online company and as per usual they have a 90ish% guarantee as to the sex. Can someone tell me if they think this is a hen?
    [​IMG]

Here is a comparison of Lacy. This picture was taken a few weeks ago, but you can see Nuggets in the background to compare.

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry, but Nuggets is 100% a male.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I can not tell you I think it is a hen.

4. PreChickenLady

Oct 24, 2015
    I was afraid of that....I guess I will have to find a new home for Nuggets since I don't have the room to have my chickens breeding.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Definitely a cockerel. :eek:(

6. PreChickenLady

Oct 24, 2015
    So a beginner question. Would there be any benefit in keeping a rooster? I really don't have the room for my chickens to breed since I live in the suburbs (in all honesty I probably am not supposed to have chickens in general and it's a good thing they are quiet so they don't bother my neighbors) so is there any purpose in keeping a rooster?

7. Farmgirl0422

Farmgirl0422 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2015
    Central Oregon
    cockerel

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cockerel.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

In your situation, there's not benefit to keeping him. He's going to start crowing any time and probably annoy you and the neighbors. You have an enclosed run, so he's not needed for predator protection. You've said you're not looking to hatch eggs and expand your flock, so he's not needed there. IMO he's just going to be a freeloader who eats a ton of food and is basically worthless to you. I'd start trying to get rid of him.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 -- especially given you are not even sure you are legally allowed to have birds at all, as his crowing will definitely attract attention. For areas where backyard bird are allowed keeping "crowing birds" (aka roosters) is generally prohibited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by