14 day old chick suddenly can't walk. Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VaM715, Jan 27, 2009.

1. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    This is my 6th hatch in two years. I 've seen spraddle legs before, but I have a 2week old chick that was fine yesterday morning then lost the use of the left leg last night and tonight the other one is not working. I thought maybe it hurt it until I got in tonight and seen the other one not working. It is almost like the legs have just gone weak at the joints. It can't stand on it's own but does "walk" on it's "knees". Disease maybe? Contaigeous to the others? It's the only one doing this. The other 24 are just fine. Hate to cull it, but if the group opinion is that, I will.

2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you given it vitamins yet? I've read that vitamin deficiencies (like rickets, or Vit B) can cause foot or leg problems.

3. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Cull, and don't look back.

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Poly-vi-sol and scrambled egg can work miracles. They do get vitamin deficiencies and while the commerical feed is good for 90% of them and they can survive, some chicks just need the more natural source of vitamins and protein. I have seen all sorts of vitamin deficiencies and weaknesses and crook neck/wry neck/twisted neck in chicks I've kept in a hutch but never in any that I've tossed out to start free ranging at one week old. I have over 100 free ranging chickens of every age group and I will never raise them in a hutch/bin on commerical feed again.

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    give 2 drops of the Poly-vi-sol (no iron) once a day on the beak for a week or so, then 1 drop for a week.
    do get some chick vitamins for the drinking water.
    vitamin deficiency can cause this hock problem..
    as Ruth posted.

what bedding are you using?

make sure the chick is separated..divide the brooder temporarily..
    to ensure it isn't injured by the others and doesn't have to compete for feed..
    have food and water easily accessible for it.

also keep a check on the crop to make sure it's emptying properly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by