1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

14 day old chicks will not eat their new food- WWYD?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvanimals2, Nov 3, 2010.

1. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    I have been trying my best to make these chicks happy. I bought Kruse's Organic Starter feed and it was buggy. I tried again and it was even buggier. I gave up and gave them a Chick Starter Mash and Naturewise. They LOVE both. Then I got my shipment of Cascade Starter and Grower. Since they only deliver once a month I bought 2 bags. I was so excited to give them this new feed since I heard such great things about it. I was in the parking lot waiting for my shipment and other people were singing it's praises so I thought for sure my hatchery chicks would dig it. I mixed it in with their old stuff and they would not touch it. They will pick the pieces and leave it on the floor. I am so frustrated. Do I just leave it there and hope they get hungry enough? Or should I just forget the Organic route and stick with the stuff they like? Thanks in advance.

Nancy

2. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Maybe they don't know it is food, since you gave them so many kinds.[​IMG] If it was me I would just give them the new feed only and when they are hungry enough they will eat it.

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I'd feed them what they'll eat for now, then when they get older mix the two together.

Heck, I'd put that buggy food in a bag & freeze it for a couple of days, then save it for them when they are older, too. Extra protein...

4. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    Quote:I think it was Alan that made the point of "but what made the food get buggy?" If the food was allowed to get damp or has mold, it probably wouldn't be so good for the chickens.

My girls love the Cascade Foods. Just put it out and they will eventually eat it!

5. luvanimals2

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:Hi Al, I think I am going to just continue w/ what they are eating for now. The best laid out plans just do not seem to work for me. I will leave them w/ the Naturewise and the Kruse's Grow Mash. I had only a very small bag to hold me over until the Cascade came. I went ahead and got another small bag for them. After that is done then I think they will be ready for the Cascade and I will just leave it and make them eat it. HA!

Thanks for the help!

Nancy

6. luvanimals2

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:I had purchased the Kruse's Organic feed in anticipation of my chicks coming so I had the food before the chicks. It was warm here and I guess the eggs starting to hatch and the bugs were all over the place. I called and when I was in the area, I returned the bag. I was not going to hold a $27 bag of buggy food. They said that they had a new shipment so I was excited and it was the same. BUGGY. That was what they told me to do, Freeze it but I do not have the room in my freezer for 50 lbs. of feed.

So I bought the Kruse's Grow Mash to hold them over to the shipment of Cascade. I think the Cascade may have bits that are too big for them or they are being picky. I will try it again after the Grow Mash is gone.

Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by