-14 degrees Celsius (7 degrees F), chicken sleeping with bare legs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KarliRae, Jan 2, 2013.

1. KarliRae

KarliRae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    Hello! I have three red sex-link hens. I just got home from work (4am) and went to check on them to make sure they were ok since it is the coldest night thus far this year. The dominant hen was sleeping apart from the others and STANDING, with her legs all bare. Her head remained tucked under her wing, as did the other two, so I don't think I woke them.

Their roost is a 2x4 on its side so that their feathers will cover their feet when they roost and that is how the other two are roosting.
    Anyone know why she might be standing while sleeping? And is this dangerous for her legs?
    Thanks!

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

It is my understanding that there is very little blood flowing through a chicken's legs and feet. As a result, they do not feel the cold on those extremities as we do.

I am almost certain that she would have hunkered down over her feet if there was an issue with the cold.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Chickens aren't smart, but they're not that dumb, either. If her legs were cold, she would have fluffed up and sat down on them to keep them warm. She just didn't want to for some unfathomable chicken reason.

4. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

[​IMG]

5. KarliRae

KarliRae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    LoL, ok, I agree! She's still walking around just fine... though she started MOLTING! In January! Crazy chicken...

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Glad she's doing fine.

I never try to figure out what's going on in my flock's heads. That way lies madness. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by