14 Eggs in nest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sue S, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    I posted a question on Tuesday about adding Pekins to my flock, I haven't gotten them yet, my husband convinced me to wait since my 1 female had a nest with 6 eggs in it ( he doesn't want to be overrun with ducklings!!! ) So, this morning I looked at the nest & she now has 14 eggs in it & I've noticed the last couple of days that when she is out with the other ducks she stands & quacks :idunno( which is very unusually for her/them cuz they are not very vocal when they are out roaming in the yard unless they see a hawk or crows!! ). Does this mean that she is getting ready to go Broody???? I know that it's a waiting game to see if she will go broody. I would really like to get a couple Pekins but if she does go broody, I would rather have her ducklings!!! This waiting game sucks!!!!!! 14 eggs in nest.jpg

DuckyDonna, Jpat and MagpieDucks like this.
  2. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Death By Cookies

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I would wait it out and see what she decides to do.

3. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    Ya, I'm going to but how long will it take before I know if she is going to be broody??? Could she just continue to lay eggs in the nest & not become broody??? I don't want to end up with a ton of eggs in the nest.

DuckyDonna and MagpieDucks like this.
  4. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Death By Cookies

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Potentially, yes. If you don’t want her to go broody, you can just collect the eggs. I’d say she would most likely go broody within the next few days, as a clutch normally consists of 8-15 eggs.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  5. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    I'm not removing the eggs cuz I do want ducklings!!!

MagpieDucks and DuckyDonna like this.
  6. Yardmom

Yardmom Chirping

May 3, 2018
    Waterford, PA
    If she is going broody she will start staying on the eggs for longer times . Many times this starts at night. Then she will only get off a couple of hours a day. If you leave eggs out they will keep laying in the nest even if they are not broody. On the other hand a broody hen will sit on one egg if that is what is available. Just a heads up my Pekins have gone broody, but have never stuck with it until hatch.

DuckyDonna likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: