14 Hens & 1 Rooster in NEPA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mountainmommapa, Nov 23, 2016.

1. mountainmommapa

mountainmommapa Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2016
    Pocono Mtns, Pa
    Hello! I have a small flock of 14 hens and 1 rooster. My rooster is a New Hampshire Red and quite possibly the best rooster ever. He is gentle with the hens, alerts them to new food sources and shares willingly with them, is a great watchman for predators, and is smart & friendly. One hen is a NHR as well..big, fat, & friendly. There are 7 red sex links, 5 Easter Eggers, and 1 little black hen. All are very free range and lead a very good life as far as chickens are concerned. I get a lovely variety of colored eggs...from dark dark brown to a light beige and green/blue to pink. They get a high quality varied diet that includes fresh herbs and lay the best eggs ever and people beg me for them. Love my chickens!

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It sounds as though everything is going well and you are enjoying your flock.

Thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under mountainmommapa [​IMG] Welcome!

Your flock does sound like they are have a nice niche.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! It's sound like you have a lovely flock :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job raising your flock. Welcome to Backyard chickens, very glad to have you here [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you aboard. You are lucky to have such a rooster. They don't come along very often - for me at least, that are kind and gentle. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

9. mountainmommapa

mountainmommapa Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2016
    Pocono Mtns, Pa
    My rooster Daisy is one of a kind! I have experience with 4 different roosters, and Daisy is a gem! He has never shown an ounce of aggression to me, my husband, my dogs or cats. However, if a stranger comes on the property he attacks. He is so gentle with the hens and they willingly submit to him. When my first chicken started laying, he even showed her where she should lay her egg and he waited outside the hen house till she was done! He is a special guy indeed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by