1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

14 Hens and only getting 8 eggs on a good day??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smcdermott, May 22, 2016.

1. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    I have 14 free rangs hens that are of laying age and I have seen each of them in the nesting box at one time or another.
    But I am am only getting 8 eggs on a good day. I have even locked them up for a week in the coop/run and still only get a max of about 8. They have plenty of water, oyster shell and a great food.
    Any ideas???????

2. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Perhaps you have a predator problem... do you have snakes near your house??? Snakes like eggs. I would check your coop for ANY way a snake could get in :)

3. Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81 Just Hatched

May 21, 2016
    Florida
    Another factor could be the stage of egg production has stopped, your chickens possibly are producing new eggs.

4. Cartop Rob

Cartop Rob Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2015
    ontario canada
    Can you elaborate? I'm interested to hear as I am having the same problem 12 birds 6-7 eggs a day. I was getting 10-11 and sometimes 12 a day.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many breeds don't lay daily. Some common breeds lay 3-5 eggs a week, and many go through ups and downs throughout the laying season. What breeds do you have? Most of your sound like they are laying every other day which is actually pretty good production.

6. lmjordan10

lmjordan10 New Egg

Apr 23, 2015
    Kanawha County, WV
    Having similar issues. 13 hens (RIR, buff rock, white rock, black star and barred rock) are 11 months old. Started laying this past November and laid well thru winter. Averaged 10-13 eggs daily. At least once weekly they all laid. Past week I'm getting low egg production. Today was lowest with only 4 eggs. Any ideas whats happening?

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many hens can't continue to produce eggs constantly, some take short breaks throughout the season, mine have slowed too. As it gets warmer production will drop. Chickens don't do well in hot weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by