14 hour old chick?s

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LeenaB, Dec 12, 2013.

1. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    This is my first incubation. And my first chick hatched last night just before 5 pm, it's now 7am and it's still not walking around the incubator. It is still breathing, opening it's eyes and closing them, making chirping noises, using it's wings and legs to scoot on its side. I have 8 other eggs in with it- 6 of the others have pipped. Is this normal for a chick?

I got my other chickens as day plus olds in April, so I have no experience with newborn chicks.

Thanks,
    Leena

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hi Leena,

Congratulations on your hatch! It's a pretty nerve-wracking experience, isn't it?

Your chick is probably just fine. Hatching is quite an ordeal and the chick needs to rest for a long time afterwards! If you still notice the chick not being active after the others have hatched and are moving around, then you might start to wonder.

Keep us posted & best of luck with the rest of your hatch!

3. LeenaB

Nov 22, 2013
    Thank you Simz. I expected to see the chick this morning climbing over the other eggs and all nice and fluffy. So I got concerned. I'm a horribly nervous first time chick mom. I thought waiting 21 days would be difficult, that was easy compared to this.

4. LeenaB

Nov 22, 2013
    Chick #2 hatched and is completely opposite of #1. So I put them both in the brooder as I set it up yesterday morning. I'm really glad I did. #2 trampled #1, climbed all over the eggs, tried to eat the thermometer. I'm really thinking 9 eggs in a mini brisnea is too many. 7 more to go- 5 of them have already pipped.

#1 is far less active than the other. In 3 hours #1 will officially be 24 hours old. #1 is nearly dry, has opened its eyes and tries to scoot around. She's very quiet. #2 doesn't stop cheeping. I gave #1 some sugar water and unflavored electrolytes. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks,
    Leena

5. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Is #1 up on her feet yet? I'd expect her to be upright by now, although I've had some take a few days to really get their legs under them. If she's trying to scoot around then that's ok. Some just take longer than others to get going. The more active one might motivate the other to get going.

Will she drink on her own? I'd say if she's upright and scooting around to just give her some more time. Unless the chick seems incredibly lethargic you probably don't have to worry about sugar water at this point - remember that they can go up to 3 days without anything because of the absorbed yolk. Once the chick can sit upright with stability you can show it water a few times a day to see if it will drink.

I've had chicks that were very slow starters and I really worried, too. I think I even had one that was around 4 days old before it really got its legs under it and walked well. It ended up being just fine without me doing more than dipping its beak (or putting it by the water to drink). The rest have always gotten going by 2-3 days.

[​IMG]

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I would expect them to be running around now too.

I hatched 3 chicks yesterday, and one about 3-4 hours ago. My hatch cam is still live and on them. So the oldest chick is about 30 hours old, youngest is 3 hours old as of 9:30pm 12/12/13.

If you want to click on the link you can watch them. It's nearly impossible to tell the oldest from the youngest.

7. LeenaB

Nov 22, 2013
    Chick #1 is doing great, almost 4 days old. It just took her a lot longer to get to the level of the other chicks. I did eye dropper feed her for the first day. She was the first one who was interested in eating the starter food.

Today you can't even tell the difference between them. I only had 7 of the 9 eggs hatch. I did an eggtopsy and found the other two hadn't progressed passed the early days, maybe 6 or 7.

All 7 chicks are running around, eating, pooping and drinking. I've been trying to sex them, not as easy as it looks.

8. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by