1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

14 hours of light to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kareninthesun, Oct 30, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    is this accurate? or guesstimation? i live in s ca, where we get lots of sun. but the days are slowly shortening, and all the chickens follow the big girls lead...they're rirs and its always a contest with the sun to see which goes to bed first. and...the bossiest worrier rir will not roost for the night until EVERYONE is in the coop. then its rote: three times around the cooo before heading to bed.

now, they are up and out of the coop between 6-6:20 every morning. total time out is a good 12 hours. their coop isnt close enough for electical lights. i keep good strong solar lights around the whole coop to discourage preditors and curousity seekers and to help the chickens see around downstairs. are they getting enough light to promote healthy happy chickens to lay eggs?

Oh, and they are free rangers during the day. They get healthy treats, i just switched them to layer crumbles, and oyster shells on the side every day. they are bright eyed, curious and looking beautiful. but i want to make sure I am doing the best i can.

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Needs to be a warm light, not cool spectrum, 14 hours, I have a dusk to dawn light with 2 -4 hours added. I just ran an extension cord to my coop. Hoping to bring my 24 week old Pullets into lay soon!

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Right now mine are all laying with just the natural daylight. My first winter with chickens, and I am not going to supplement to see how they do. Heard a statistic that the production would be reduced by 20% in winter, so I'm going to verify against that.

4. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    My 3 hens went on "egg strike" about a week ago and if I'm lucky I get one egg a day, with nothing for the last 3! Yesterday afternoon we hung a set of rope lights in the coop with an auto-timer to keep them on for a few hours after dusk and then to come back on around 3am to provide more hours of light. I'm hoping they break their strike soon, I just broke one of them from being broody!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a 7 watt light in all of my coops so they have a little light 24/7. I guess it's enough light as they lay all year long except when they are in molt or want to be broody.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Anybody know how long it takes for the light program to start working? I just started about two weeks ago. My Pullets, all except the EEs, are really red in the face. They are all an early June hatch.

7. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    Tracy...I don't know, mine have been laying since August and this is my first "set" of girls. I have read though that "late" hatches may not start laying until next Spring though, just depends on the chicken really! Mine started laying at 18, 22, and 26 weeks.

8. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Quote:my first ones were born in early June also. they are all red around the face. one of my 4 year old students said they were ready to lay. i asked how he knew and he pointed to the bottom of one's backside. said she looked like she was wearing a diaper made of feathers and looked like his baby cousin when he needed to be changed. how come that makes sense?

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    As an example, I have 7 females of which 6 are laying as of now. I get 4 to 6 eggs a day on a little less than 12 hours.

10. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I add no light...I have 11 laying hens and get at least 9 a day still....lets see how they do after I fall back the clocks...I still won't add light, I want them to have a break this winter...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by