14 hrs of light, no mites, not molting, any other reasons for no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katiek, Nov 22, 2008.

1. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    Okay, so I've read it all. I know the most common reasons why my 6-7 month old RIRs might not be laying.

We are giving them 14 hours of light, they should be old enough, they don't have any mites or lice, and I'm pretty sure they aren't molting.

We feed them plenty of good chicken feed, with treats of oyster shells and food scraps.

They have a great run, and safe indoor coop with nesting boxes. Lots of hay and water. 4 hens and 1 roo.

Are there any more reasons why they might not be laying? Any suggestions? Should I just be more patient? [​IMG]

Thanks!!!

2. BethinIrving

BethinIrving Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Are you saying they haven't started laying -- yet? Or they've been laying and stopped?

I've wondered if the weather has something to do with their laying, but I dunno.

I have Barred Rocks. They began laying at 5 months, have never had laying mash, and they lay every day.

They are fed Scratch, table scraps, and what they catch free ranging. Three or four times a year (depending on what's going on) I will mix medicated crumbles in with the Scratch.

I do leave a light on out there.

It's been cold here and I really thought they'd stop laying during the cold. Not those rascals. They are still laying.

There's some really experienced chicken people on this board. Be patient. I'm sure one of them will post something that will help you.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Just the time of the year for many chickens.

4. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    Thanks for the info. They haven't laid yet at all in their lifetime.

They seem very healthy, bright eyes, happy active ladies. I just didn't know if there is anything else I can do to help them.

I'll keep waiting, I guess.....[​IMG]

Any other advice would be much appreciated. Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question. [​IMG]

5. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I have some 7 month old pullets that are not laying yet either. They are part SIL and Aracauna mix rooster. I would have thought they should be laying by now and where I live it is not that cold.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Some just take longer to come into lay and this time of year really does set them back. People often say 5 months is average, but that is not always true and it is really dependent on the bird and when they're ready.

Jody

7. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I have some 6 month plus chickies that aren't laying either, and I've heard it's due to the temperature this time of year. Someone at my feed store said if the girls didn't start laying by this time of year then they probably wouldn't until next season. My fingers are crossed.
    I was so excited the first time my hen laid, and kind of weirded out when her egg was blue (she's an Easter egger, I later found out)--but it was yummy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by