14 month old Laying hen not acting right..could she be egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Chicken People, May 23, 2010.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

1) RIR, 14 months old, not sure but shes always been one of my biggest hens!
    2) Not laying down but just like shes lost her spark...not pecking and hanging around with the others!
    3) Two days!
    4) No signs of anything!
    5)Nothing?
    6) Layer pellets , grass, and water.
    7) Not sure will try to see today!
    8) Nothing! Just watching her behaviors!
    9) Treat myself no vet bills allowed on Chickens...sorry!
    10) No wounds...

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Check the bird carefully today, too, to see if you can find mites or evidence of worms. Sometimes a parasite can make a bird listless. Treating mites or worming is something you can easily do yourself, if that's the problem.

3. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Where would I look for worms the bottom? like coming out? I think her vent is clean and DH looked for lice/ mites.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    More info needed please.

When was last known egg? Possible eggbound situation?
    Eating, drinking, pooping? Separate her to assess all these things if answers unknown.
    3 drops Polyvisol liquid children's vitamins (w/o added iron) daily to try to keep her from getting too weak. Gently administered along her beak line with dropper, so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke.
    Offer her enticing healthy treats to see if you can spark interest - sunflower seeds, a bit of fruit, veggies. Mine adore blueberries and other berries (but not strawberries), grapes, tomatoes..... If she doesn't respond to these types of things, in all likelihood you have a very sick bird.

Blood work and parasite tests would tell you much more - without them, this will be something of a guessing game.... My hen Ellie once crashed pretty badly - blood work revealed inflammation and/or infection cause unknown. Meds cured her lickety split - without them, I don't think she would have pulled through. Your hen may of course have something completely different going on - if eggbound, the answer isn't meds but rather it is getting the egg out.....

Hope she will get well [​IMG]

JJ

5. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Okay..DH is out working on a new coop so I will go swap all the birds around to get her seperated into the wire cage! Hopefully I can find the vitamins in town. I will report more as I know it. Unsure about last egg as well! I would love to take my chicken to the vet but I cant afford that!

6. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I am headed to Walmart right now! Her poop is runny like water!

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    When you separate her, have it be in a comfy place with comfy bedding, and ready access to food, water, oyster shell. Not too small a cage. A large dog carrier in the vicinity of her buddies would be a good choice.
    JJ

8. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Shes going in the large dog kennel inside the run area of the coop! Its a three sided coop with the run attached! She has got vitamins, yogurt, fresh food and water and yes oyster shell. Lets hope for the best!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  9. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    No eggs laid in three or more days belly is hard and loosing feathers? Advice needed ...thinking a warm bath?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by