14 mystery chicks

eclemm

In the Brooder
May 14, 2023
One month ago, on May 5th, I received 14 mystery chicks from cackle hatchery. All 14 are supposed to be pullets and all of them are supposed to be different breeds. I have attached photos taken at 1 week intervals of all 14 chicks from weeks 1-5. I made my guesses for their breed and I would love to know if people agree! I also suspect I may have one Roo! Introducing The Spice Girls :)

Rosemary: my guess - White Rock. Rosemary is the 2nd largest in the flock.
Rosemary.png

Coriander: my guess - Blue/Splash Laced Red Wyandotte. I can't tell if she's blue or white.
Coriander.png

Basil: my guess - Buff Orpington. Basil is my cuddlebug. She always runs to great me.
Basil.png

Cinnamon: my guess - Golden Comet.
Cinnamon.png

Parsley: my guess - New Hampshire. I'm pretty sure Parsley is a rooster!
Parsley.png

Paprika: my guess - Rhode Island Red.
Paprika.png

Ginger: my guess - Brown Leghorn. Ginger is the lightest bird in the flock.
Ginger.png

Cayenne: my guess - Speckled Sussex.
Cayenne.png

Nutmeg: my guess - Black Laced Red Wyandotte.
Nutmeg.png

Peppercorn: my guess - Black Sex Link. Peppercorn has some faint brown feathering coming in around her neck.
Peppercorn.png

Clove: my guess - French Black Copper Marans. Clove is my largest significantly.
Clove.png

Bay: my guess - Black Australorp.
Bay.png

Anise: my guess - Cuckoo Marans.
Anise.png

Fennel: my guess - Dominique
Fennel.png

If you see any other potential Roos or if you disagree with any of my guesses please let me know! I'm new to this, so I suspect some may be incorrect. Also let me know if you need any more pictures of any of The Spice Girls.

My guess is you are way more detailed and organized than me! I have no doubt you will be/are an excellent chicken keeper.

I agree that the dom maybe a cockerel as well a the sussex. My only point of knowing on the sussex is how early the chest is showing so much white. Not at all a reliable form of gender ID, but something I am certainly starting to see more often here with the young cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom