14 of 36 so far.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hollyk, Jan 26, 2009.

1. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    One pipped yesterday, had 1 out by 5:30 am and 5 out by 6:30 am:yiipchick.
    It is 4:30 in the afternoon and I have 14 out. How long could it be before the others are done? I am on day 20 so the little gals are a bit early. When do you give up on an egg hatching? This is our first batch to hatch.

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    You should not open the incubator as you will lose Humidity and that could cause the other unhatched chicks to stick ti the shell and possibly die. Usually if you have a early hatch it is because your temps were to high so you should check how accurite your thermometer is.
    Most people leave them until day 24 or 25. Your hatched chicks can stay in the incubator for up to 48 hours or so as they do not need water or food because they just finished absorbing the yolk sac. That is why hatcheries can ship a day old and they do fine without food or water.
    Be sure that your humidity is up to about 65 or 70 for the eggs that have not yet hatched. If it is not you can use a straw or syringe and put in hot water thru the vent holes and replace the plug right away. That way you don't open the bator and lose temp and Humidity.

3. hollyk

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    What would be the signs of a chick stuck to the shell? The humidity is up and I am sure the thermometer isn't exactly accurate. I borrowed this bator from my extension agent. Everyone seems to be doing well, they sometimes sound like they are going to take the bator apart.[​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sounds like things are progressing nicely! I would give them untill at least day 25. Once the hatched ones are about 2 days old, QUICKLY reach in and remove them to the draft free brooder, thats already warmed to 95 Degrees. Oh, and we WILL want to see pics! [​IMG] Congrats!!

5. hollyk

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    The brooder is already warming up! Yes, I know you want pics- I will just have to get my teenage daughter to help me![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by