14 of my 15 died :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nicoletm24, Jun 17, 2011.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Yep....I had 15 beautiful chickens...

4 EE's, 3 Barred Rocks, 2 RIR, and the rest Brown Legged. [​IMG]

About a week ago, something big, and I mean BIG...got into my coop...killed all 14, and that includes the mean a$$ Roo I had. It was horrible [​IMG]

So, after that tragedy, I have 32 eggs on lock down tonight...hoping for a great hatch to help replenish my bunch.

I have 1 RIR left. she's a beauty. but, she is scared to death!!! hasn't laid an egg in 3 days [​IMG] I hope she'll be ok.

2. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I am so sorry. If it is possible someone dug under the fence, here's a thought: Put chicken wire under the fence extending outward. Then cover the wire with gravel. If someone thinks they can dig through gravel, they will hit chicken wire. I'm thinking kind thoughts for your traumatized survivor and you.

3. EatMorSteak

EatMorSteak Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Sorry to hear. I hope your lone RIR turns out ok. [​IMG]

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    [​IMG]I am so sorry for your loss, hope you have beautiful happy healthy chicks when they hatch.

5. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    sorry for your loss. what kind of kill was it? were the birds whole or eaten? if whole it could have ben a weasel. they are nasty.

6. Nhiawa

Nhiawa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    sometimes it happens...

7. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    I don't think we have weasels here...but, no clue to be honest.

I'm thinking dog or bigger. since it pushed in my front grate to the coop.

the chickens, hald thrown about half ripped to pieces. [​IMG]

it was a horrible day for me. since this is the 2nd time in a year this has happened. i'm hoping that with my fiance (soon to be hubby on the 30th) building me a coop closer to our home it will help!

I told him to wire about 6 inches from the bottom outside of the chicken coop with electric fence! No lie, I was in tears with this kill. the first time it happend, it [email protected] me off...but now...it hurt, bc these were all hand raised chicks from egg on up. and it hit a personal note.

So, this time...I'm out for vengance! LOL it'll be wired with electric fence about 6" out from the bottom of the coop, and don't put it past me to set out our deer cam near it to catch who is doing it.

THANKS so much for the well wishes! I'm hoping I can start a new batch...but still need and want some EE's....last time i had some near laying is when this happened before last year! [​IMG] and I mean they were days away from laying....this bunch was 2 months away. but it still bothers me.

8. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Sounds like you really need to figure out what happened or you are likely to get repeat disasters. Big, as in bear? If yes, then you need to string up electric hot wire.
    Weasels look like something big happened because they usually wipe out the whole flock. Secure hardware cloth is the best bet for them. No holes at all!
    Good Luck with your next hatch. [​IMG]

9. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Quote:you mean "something sh!t happens..." lol

it does...but it hits home when these are chicks you raised from eggs....I helped some of these hatch, and helped they grow.

If i'd just went and bough 15 birds that were laying, it might be different. But, these lil suckers thought I was mom. So, it is a bit harder.

BUT...I"m hoping the 32 I have ready to hatch anyday now is healthy and will help me start new. [​IMG]

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Use hardware cloth, not chicken wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by