14 Week old barred rock pullet with a crooked neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ballfamilyfarm, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ballfamilyfarm

ballfamilyfarm New Egg

Mar 29, 2011
    Hi everyone
    I was out with my chickens last night and noticed one of their necks looked funny. I thought it was a full crop, but it was on the side of her neck. I picked her up to feel it and there is no lump, her neck is just crooked. She is acting and eating fine, it just looks really odd. Has any one else seen this or know what it is how do I treat it...? Any info would be great.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Is her neck still crooked?

3. ballfamilyfarm

ballfamilyfarm New Egg

Mar 29, 2011
    Yes it is still crooked. I don't know how concerned I should be. Most of the searching I did for crooked neck showed chickens with the neck under the breast, looking down or behind them. Any thoughts?

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

There are stories of animals with unusual conformation that live out their lives just fine. I'm thinking of 2-legged dogs for example, things that one wouldn't think possible.

From the picture it almost looks like her neck is at a 45-degree angle from straight forward, but she may be turning and I may be mis-reading it.

If she is acting and eating fine, then just keep an eye on her and see what develops. Maybe she can handle a crooked neck and live a normal life. If you aren't needing the bird for breeding or showing then an oddity shouldn't matter too much, as long as the bird can fully function and isn't in any pain. My 2-cents.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Can you get another pic of her and post so we can see her neck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by