14 week old BR pullet scalped by the flock - please help - I'm worried

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chew593, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

This morning my husband told me he thought there was something wrong with our 14 week old BR pullet. I went out there and she seemed ok to me so I let it slide. Now I wish I hadn't.
    I just got home from a funeral and found her scalped in the run. Still alive, but walking in circles and a bloddy mess. My flock turned on her. I had my husband cull her, one of her eyes was missing... what a mess!
    So now what do I do? Do I have to worry about the rest of the flock turning on each other? Are there any preventative measurers I can take? What went wrong? Please help, I'm really troubled by all this.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Were they raised together? If not how were they introduced? How long were they together?

3. Chew593

Quote:I have 14 chickens total. 6 of them are 20+ weeks old. The eight (now 7) youngsters were introduced at 6 weeks but were segregated in a separate pen for a couple weeks. They've been together for at least 5-6 weeks with no issues. This one had always acted a little odd.... was sort of a loaner and didn't roost up with the others, but down near the nesting boxes. My husband thought she was developmentally disabled... I just thought she was bottom of the pecking order.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  4. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Wow that seems right. Since she never fully integrated in with the flock she might of had something wrong with her. I would think after 5 or 6 weeks they would of all been fine [​IMG] It just may have been the flocks way of keeping a bad gene from propagating.
    I'd keep an eye on them for a bit. It you see and feather plucking I'd step in right away as it may escalate to one being maimed.

5. Chew593

would love a little more input on the subject of picking pecking and canniblism

6. Chew593

Quote:Shaggysgirl, thanks so much! I'll do that... I'm so worried about canniblism right now that I have a head ache! I'm worried I'm going to go out there and more will be like she was. I've never seen anything like it, it was like a horror movie. She was upright and walking, but had no skin on her head and neck. It was awful... I appreciate your input and will keep an eye on the rest of them.

7. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Good luck Janine. Keep us post on how they do.

8. gilroygal

gilroygal New Egg

Sep 25, 2009
    Odds are, they won't stop now that she is injured. I would separate her right away. I have found that when you get too many chickens in a coop, they do start to attack eack other. You may want to consider allowing them out of the coop during the day.

9. Chew593

Quote:Thank you, but as I stated earlier, we put the injured one down due to the extensivness of the injuries. I have 14 birds in a 20' X 15' run, and their coop is 6'X 12. There's more then enough room. I also let them out for 2-4 hours every evening to free range. They are all on a 50/50 blend of layena/starter and I give them free access to oyster shell. I don't think it's a protein thing tho I could be wrong. I'm leaning towards she was dim... she was the ones my kids loved because she was easy to catch. My son's going to be sad when I pick him up from school.

10. gilroygal

gilroygal New Egg

Sep 25, 2009
    Bummer, I know how hard that is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by