14 Week Old Hen Limping Rooster won't Leave Her Alone help! UPDATE :)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BeetleChick, Jul 17, 2011.

1. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    We have 12 chickens, 11 hens, 1 rooster, one of the hens jumped off the roost and landed funny onfriday morning. She sat on the ground for a bit before getting up. She did the same thing Friday night and Saturday night at bedtime. She just did it again and limped on one leg with the other wing down to the corner of their run where she sat for at least half an hour while I chased off our bantam rooster, she's bigger than he is, but he will not leave her alone. She hobbled to another parrot the run after his last round, then hopped on the roost before I could stop her. Help please! I'm afraid she's going to really hurt herself.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I had a big old hen who wasn't real fast any more so she was always 'the favorite'. Then I've noticed sometimes the sick or injured ones get too much attention from the roos. I think the roos assume the hens are in the submission position when they lay down.

You can either lower the roost or you can keep her separated for a day or two so she can recover. Make sure she gets lots of extra treats. Somebody needs to invent a device to keep roosters from overmating a particular hen! [​IMG]I wonder if you could put some of that no pick tar stuff on her comb?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    You should separate her if she is injured and give her time to heal.

4. BeetleChick

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    I have their playhouse coop from when they were younger that I could put her in. How hard will reintroduction be? How long will it take her to heal?

5. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Well, if it were me, I would put her back in the coop at night when she is ready. You should be able to tell when you think she is ready. Wait until she is no longer limping or acting like her leg is bothering her.

6. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Sounds like you need to catch her and put her in a crate for a few days to give her leg some time to heal and some peace from the roo. Do NOT give her a perch during this time you want her to stay nice and quiet...no jumping around. I have a hen right now with a bad limp and she has been in solitary for a couple of weeks now (she has other issues also, I have the thread "(update) HELP!!!! Red not getting better loosing color on comb", just in case you want to read what I have been doing for her)

7. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    You need to get her out of there for now and let her rest that leg. She should be in a dark area and not able to move to where she can put weight on the leg. It may take up to 2 weeks for her to heal, most people bring them into the house.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If this were my flock it's the roo I would remove, not the hen, at least to start. My hens will get on the roost during the day to escape the roosters, so if she is not bothered by him, she may be able to heal in the flock, avoiding the reintroduction problem. She may also not get on the roost for a while if the roo is not present.

9. BeetleChick

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    The hen is in her little coop where she can see the others and vice-versa, she is not happy. She wants back in with them, but she is still hobbling.

10. BeetleChick

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    Good news [​IMG] after 5 days by herself, she is not hobbling and has been reintroduced to the flock. Everyone had a snack of watermelon and bread while I closed the coop door, I put her in the coop, let everyone calm back down, gave them more bread and let her out. They didn't even notice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by