14 week old Khaki Campbell female duck Jammed or sprained neck or concussion

JGRanch

Hatching
Nov 25, 2018
14 week old Khaki Campbell female duck Jammed or sprained neck or concussion

I have a horse ranch and do most of my own vet work sickness, topical injuries, breeding etc / raised ducks a couple times growing up but my other half this August came home with 6 baby ducks 2 days old from tractor supply 3 Khakis and 3 Black Swedish... any ways All have their adult feather and are all nice and plump and healthy and happy .. my one Khaki she’s the smallest of the 3 she’s not a runt she’s just compact lol , always been healthy and active .. she’s a bit of a spaz she’s high energy but not in a crazy way she’s actually really smart , but I have them set up in a horse stall in my show barn it’s heated and cooled and they have a huge horse water trough to play in so they have it made.. well came out last night and heard they had some game going on and thought oh god here we go .. so I look and she’s able to fly off the ground a foot or two but nothing major been doing it for about a month but she got up in the horses built in feeder/ hay rack and was sitting up in it and was fine but there was hay in it so clearly she wanted a nest even though they have one ground level ... well I went in to feed them and they are bonded to me so they do run or get scared so I open the door and she decided she want to go ahead and jump to run towards the feeder because she knew I was about to feed ... well when she jumped she hit the shavings “ that have rubber mats underneath “ - head first on top of her head and it was straight down so her body weight and everything kinda accordion style crunched her and she jammed her neck .. well she got up and I could tell it knocked the wind out of her and she was kinda like a cartoon character that saw stars so I gave her a few minutes and when she went to walk away she was walking okay but staggering a little and sometimes would back set like she was going to fall back . So I put her in a small wire dog crate with hay and made her a nest and water and food and some baby aspirin dissolved in water .. today she’s kinda odd acting she’s with it but just off acting she’s been moving her wings for long periods of time kinda like when a human has a tic . She walks but sometimes Wabbles and if she stands up tall to flap their wings like they do she goes to fall backwards and has been keeping her neck tucked to her body kinda like how they sleep and hasn’t really stretched it out and her behavior is just odd and sporadic and she wanted to swim so I let her by herself and she just peddles around and doesn’t stop and keeps going and she acts like someone that spun around to many times and got dizzy .... Help!

silkiemother

Crowing
Sep 14, 2018
east wenatchee
is she getting better/okay?if you can,and if it will help, you could put her in something that will help her keep her balance and prevent her from hurting herself if she is still not moving very well. I hope this helps you and I hope she makes a quick recovery!

JGRanch

Hatching
Nov 25, 2018
Sorry for the late reply ! It’s now been I think a little over 3 weeks and she’s doing much better ! She’s stretching her neck out like normal but keeps it tucked back to body most of the time she’s running around and swimming and everything normal , but I think she suffered some damage because she’s walking around totally fine and can move her neck around fine and clean her feathers ect.. but here and there when she’s crawling up or down on rocks to get up to their pond or not paying attention or another duck knocks into her she’s a bit clumsy and will slightly lose her balance but not to bad but week by week she seems to be getting better! Thanks for the concern

Top Bottom