14 week old roo mating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksinthemachine, Jul 30, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    He is starting to do his "thing" with a couple of the girls. Not sure if he is just practicing or actually succeding, my ? is if he is doing his "job" correctly will the hens first eggs be fertile?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  2. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    [​IMG] My 3 year old wanted me to post this.LOL Seriously can they do that at that age?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    He can try. Mine started practicing around 10 weeks old. They haven't figured out how to hold on longer than 2 seconds though, and it takes five seconds to accomplish the task. [​IMG] If he succeeds and your hens are laying, then yes the eggs could be fertile; but at 14 weeks old sounds like you have a couple of more weeks before your hens start to lay.

4. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    My guy is 16 weeks. He already has a favorite he trys with. But she is not ready and fights him off. He is just like any other teen male. [​IMG]

He does do the wing dance, I love to sit out side the run and just watch him do his little dance.

5. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I have 2 wanting the same ones(2) and they are teases they go back and forth, next comes the fighting which right now is cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by