14 weeks--is this a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alaskagirl, Nov 27, 2013.

1. alaskagirl

alaskagirl New Egg

Nov 14, 2013
    I am new at this. I got 4 chicks from someone new to raising poultry--don't know breeds, assume barnyard mixes.
    One black chick became a miniature rooster and crowed at 7 weeks (I didn't know this was possible).
    The gold roo is 14 weeks old.
    The black bird on the floor is 15 weeks old, very gentle, has the "rudder" tail that my full grown hens have.
    The one on the ice chest is 14 weeks, also small and docile but the tail looks like roo to me and the feathers have more green sheen. Is there any chance this is a pullet?

I am trying to time transitioning them to the adult flock. Roosters are illegal so I need to do it before they crow. I'd like to wait for a break in the weather but also need to do it before I am down to one bird. The coop is heated, but one of my hens is surly and I'm afraid she would try to kick the young ones out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I see pullets with the possible exception of the very last pic. It's impossible to tell for sure from that shot, but I think I see a large comb.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    your 2 blacks (even the one on the cooler) are pullets. Most black birds have a sheen to their feather, even the hens have this. With different breeds come different tail angles.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both are pullets.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see all females.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of them look like pullets, at least going by these photos. Green sheen is common in any black bird (male or female), and tails can be many shapes as birds mature.

7. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

pullets

8. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Looks like in total you will have 2 roos, 2 pullets! The blacks are all pullets. [​IMG]

9. x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by