14 wk LF Cochin?? So confused??

Michie

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 28, 2010
San Antonio
Hi!! I hatched out about 6 LF cochins, some were slow to feather(so I assumed boy), and then some started to crow, and had large combs etc....(all boy traits) so they were rehomed! I kept 3 cochins, 2 blue, and 1 black. Heres my dilema. They are 14wks old. No one is crowing, but one has started to grow a decent comb(but still much smaller than the ones that were rehomed), but then the other breeds are too. I am hoping that by looking at something other than the comb and waddles someone might have insight if these 2 are girls or boys. These 2 both were feathered out quickly, unlike the obvious males. I have read that this breed can be very difficult to sex! Thanks!!

Cochin #1- I realize these arent the greatest pics, I have a very tough time getting them to stay still!! lol
68748_14wkscochin1.jpg

Cochin #2- This one has a larger comb, but no other differences than #1 They are both 14wks!
68748_14wkscochin2.jpg

I realize this is an odd question, but one is going around constantly "bock bock bock"ing? Do only the females complain like that or the boys do to?

I say either 2 pullets or a pullet and cockeral. at 14 weeks I'd expect a bigger difference, or the start of saddles on a cockeral...I honestly think you have 2 pullets, and the #2 is just the dominant one starting to mature faster.

People think that chickens grow at the same rate even hatched together. You have to think, some people grow.faster then.others, Some are bigger and some are smaller, Same with chickens. At 14 weeks a cockerel should have a decent sized comb and wattles.. this is nothing to worry about. You have pullets.

Thank You everyone!! I really am thinking they are both pullets also!!(Just because of the major differences in the others that were males) And I have always wanted a blue cochin, so this will be PERFECT!!! I know they are young, but my son is really hoping to start showing one of them one day!! Thanks again!!!

how funny! i have some 2 month olds that lok just like this and from what I was told all pullets, so I am saying they are both pullets if they were roosters the comb and wattles would be a lot bigger or you would have some saddle or hackle feathers by now.

Back
Top Bottom