14 wk old with Wry neck and scissor beak

New Momma Hen

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Ada Oklahoma
So.. I'm new. I have been searching and seeking for help and advice, but I still find myself at a loss.. So now I am in need of picking every one of y'all's brains! Lol
Ok, I got 33 chickens (Rhode Island, Americauna, Rainbow, Orpington, Faverolle) & 23 guineas at the end of May. Being my first time, I expected to lose most of them. But I think I'm doing something right! I have 6 roosters though.. I lost 2 hens and a chick about a month ago to a Cotten Mouth. And lost another chick about a week later, scissor beak.. She was my sweet heart!! Lost a Guinea from others pecking. Well, we moved all birds and guineas into the big run, and they are happy!! Just until I can fix the fencing around the big coop. Now I have a new problem... Miss Queen B (you can figure out what the B stands for) is not my biggest hen, but is the meanest! She likes to intimidate and fight with everyone.. Never fights though, just trying to be tough. Last week she all of a sudden started having scissor beak. And then started walking funny, losing balance, being singled off by others, and her neck started twisting. so I separated her to help with stress levels. She was so bad with wry neck, that she would lay on her back, kick her feet to the side against the wall & rest her head on her belly & if you didn't know she was on her back, you would think she was normal. Today, her neck isn't as twisted. When using her muscles, she's still twisting.. She's standing and trying to balance. I've been giving her water from a medicine dropper. And she actually ate dry food out of my hand today!! What should I be feeding her? And how do I go about trimming her beak right? & can birds heal from wry neck? Mind you, she just started this a week ago...

i have a silkie with scissor beak, noticed it at 3 weeks old she is well over a year now..give her deep dishes to eat and drink from, do the mash, its easier for her to eat..or i hand feed her scrambled egg, right now she is broody, sitting on one egg and one hatched on halloween..the last egg should hatch anytime soon......she is my fav....

Back
Top Bottom