14-year-old cat in a fight - how should I treat the wounds?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tazzy, May 10, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    My 14-year-old tabby cat snuck out last night - he's an indoor kitty now that he's old - and managed to get in a pretty icky cat fight. He showed up on our porch a little while ago with a bloody front leg. The wound isn't deep, but the top layer of skin, with his fur attached, is pulled back to expose an area about an inch long and a half inch wide. So it's kind of like his leg is skinned on that one area.

Should we take him to the emergency vet? Normally I rush my pets to the vet for everything. I'm not against spending money on them, but I don't want to waste money in this economy, either. Our regular vet is off today (normally he works on weekends and is on call, but not today) and the emergency vet wants $79 just to look at him and then more for meds and treatment.

Before I take him, does anyone have any advise on whether the vet is needed? He acts fine. He's licking his wound, and he's not in pain. He's jumping up and down and eating and drinking normally.

I will take him to our regular vet tomorrow to get him antibiotics. But I don't know if the emergency vet is needed today. My instinct says no, but I know that my opinion is biased today because I have 15 people coming over for a combo mother's day/birthday party in about an hour. So I need to be here.

Thanks in advance for any advice. And please don't flame me. I'm a very responsible pet owner. I swear! (Heck, one of my golden retrievers was sick last summer with meningitis and we spend thousands on a spinal tap and treatment for our boy!)

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    when our dog got caught on the fence it tore a whole(GROSS) in his chest. We packed it with Neosporin ointment after cleaning it with peroxide. I even had a cat that had it out with another we did the same. It cleared up well, we treated it ASAP!!

Good Luck

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Clean it out and put an antibiotic ointment on it. The only other thing would be if the wound needed stitching. Some farm supply stores sell sutures and you could do it yourself or I've known some people who would thread up a needle sterilize the needle and thread in alcohol and stitch away. In 14 days take the stitches out.

4. CritterBazaar

CritterBazaar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Fort Wayne IN
    If its not really deep he can wait until tomorrow. We deal with this all the time and as long as you get him on antibiotics it will be fine. It does not sound like he needs stiches.

5. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    thanks so much for the input! I have rushed my pets to the vet many, many times, only to find out it was nothing that required treatment. So I didn't want to go if this definitely did need immediate care. I really appreciate the advice. It eases my mind and makes me feel better about waiting until tomorrow. Because of his age I will definitely take him for antibiotics tomorrow as a safety precaution.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd use saline solution to clean it, not peroxide. Peroxide kills healthy tissue too. Watch it closely since cats have a tendency to develop abcesses easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by