1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

14wk EE died today...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mygirlScout, Aug 23, 2008.

1. mygirlScout

mygirlScout Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    [​IMG]
    I noticed this morning while my chickens were in the yard that Cheekers was hanging around the coop, slow and and almost looking like she was trying to sleep. I thought it was odd because she free ranges with the other 14wk girls, and they were on the other side of the yard. I picked her up and held her for a bit, my husband made sure she was eating and drinking and then set her up under their shade tree. She stayed with the younger chicks all day. We ran to the local farm stand today at 6pm and when we came back she was on her back dead.
    She was totally fine yesterday, and today she's dead. All the other girls are running around fine, it was just her. It was hot/humid today, but it wasn't really this morning when she was acting different. Her comb was always pink/red, never white.
    Does anyone have any ideas of what could've happened to her? This is my first chicken loss and totally unexpected.

2. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    i have no idea, but im so sorry [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ah shucks. I'm so sorry for your loss. I haven't a clue what would have caused it. Sunrise, Sunset.

4. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Sounds like some sort of heart thing, with the drowsiness and the white comb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by