14wk old Araucana skinny and slow

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aso26, Jul 10, 2011.

1. aso26

aso26 New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    This is my first post. I have 15 chickens, all free ranging in the day and cooped at night. They are all on 'scratch & peck' organic grower along with a little starter offered free choice in the yard. The feed has probiotics and is minimally processed.

Question: I noticed the other day, that one of my Araucanas is seriously anorexic. She seems to eat and drink and move around okay, but she lets me pick her up - unlike the rest that scatter when I try to pick them up. I went to close the coop up tonight and all the rest were roosting and she was under the coop by herself. I brought her in tonight and stuck her in the old brooder with water and food.

I'm concerned that she is headed down hill. Any specific instructions would be appreciated.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. aso26

aso26 New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    She does look fluffed up, which is why it took picking her up one day to notice how emaciated she was.

Her poop this morning in the brooder was pretty unremarkable except that it was very green and there was whole undigested grain in it. I had already noticed that she seemed to prefer the tinniest of grain dust to the whole thing, unlike the other birds.

More replies are welcome.

Thanks,
    anna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by