14wo golden sexlink showing signs of ready to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tara3436, Apr 2, 2015.

1. tara3436

tara3436 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2015
    On Jan 2 I got a 2 week old Golden SexLink and a Barred Rock of the same age. The girls are inseparable and I was told to expect eggs around 6 months of age (ish).
    Right now they're about 14 weeks and the GSL was caught "striking position" just now. She dug a little depression in the pot of an avocado tree I have outside and was raising her rear end (presumably for a rooster?). At least, that's what it looked like! She did that for a while then jumped out to catch a lizard she spotted.
    Should we be expected eggs soon with this type of behavior? And does this mean she might have chosen my plant pot over her comfy next box lol?

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I've never personally had any chicken lay this early...i'd say my GSLs and Rocks are pretty consistent on laying at 6 months old, but i've had a few start a little earlier and a little later. I've only had about 20 of these breeds, so i am no expert. :)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might be more likely that she was looking to have a little dust bath.

Sexlinks can lay as early as 16 weeks.

Here's a couple sign of impending lay:

Squatting:
    If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
    This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
    Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
    Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.

2 bony points on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by