1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

14x14x6 coop extended to a 24x24x6?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Flutterbee, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    Currently my coop is fourteen feet by fourteen feet. Is that a decent size? I plan to expand it to a twenty four feet by twenty four feet coop in a few weeks once my hen has hatched her chicks and they have grown to a decent size. What is something good to put inside the coop ground-wise? Loose dirt or mulch since grass doesn't grow? I just hate how muddy it is.

My coop holds my rooster, Gilman, and my two hens, Edna and Myrtle right now. But Edna is sitting on a clutch of eggs that are supposed to hatch next week. I can't let them free range outside of the coop until the fall, so I just want to make sure they have enough room and won't be overcrowded.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    For only 3 actual residents right now, and even if all your eggs hatch from your broody, let's say 8-10 (??)...the current size is plenty big for them. Good luck with your broody and I hope you get lots of little fuzzy-butts! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you talking about your coop(covered, weather tight 'building' for laying and sleeping)?
    ......or your run(secure fenced pen outside of coop to forage and sunbathe and eat bugs)?

If your run is muddy, you need to look at drainage in the area. Do a search on 'pat's mud'

4. Flutterbee

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    I have a combination of both. My chickens have three large wooden, house-like dog houses they stay in and half of the coop is partially covered while the rest is out in the open.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The size of the coop itself, where they shelter at night, is important.
    You need a foot of roost per bird.

Can you post pics?

6. Flutterbee

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Those two little 'coops' are big enough for 3 but you're going to need more shelter once your chicks get bigger.

You could put a yard or two of sand in there to keep your chicken feet above the mud and puddles.

8. Flutterbee

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    Thank you so much, I'll definitely do the sand. Yeah, I'm going to invest in some more roosting and nesting boxes once we expand. I have some that are supposed to arrive from Amazon by the 2nd of September so the chicks will still be young enough to hang out under mom while I build.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by