15 Buff Orpington Chicks Ordered!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mother4Jesus, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Mother4Jesus

Mother4Jesus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    New York
    We are so excited here in my home!! We just ordered 15 BO's. 14 hens and 1 roo. 2 of the hens are going to a friend of mine who has a flock of her own.

The last tme we had chickens, About 2 years ago, we had Red Stars. Those were some great egg laying birds but the roo was nasty and the hens were a bit too aggressive. I have a 4y/o and a 2 y/o who will be helping me.

I wanted a breed that was sweet and friendly, so I went with BO's because I was told they're very friendly, sweet and decent layers. Not as good as my Red stars but about 4-5 a week.

The last time we had chickens, a friend gave them to us , so i'm still a newbie at this.

What do I need to have to be prepared for the chicks??

any suggestions, and links would be appreciated.

2. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    this site has been invaluable to me regarding anything 'chicken'.

Congrats on your new babies,,Orps are my fav breed right now, very friendly and easy going:)
    Diane

3. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Fun!! We have about a dozen BO's and they are great girls and good layers. We almost get an egg/hen/day year round. We have a 4' x 5' wood enclosure in the garage that we use as the chick brooder. 3 to 4" of pine chips on the floor and a brooder light at the corner and you are good to go. A supply of chick feed and fresh water daily will keep them happy. At 6 or 7 weeks of age we move them to the outside coop area where they have a 40sf sheltered and isolated area from the main flock. This area also has a brooding light to keep warm at nights. After a few weeks they are then ready to join the flock.

4. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Check out the learning center. Everything you need to know can be found there!

5. gcbsmommy

gcbsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    I ordered 15 BOs and 10 Americaunas that arrived on February 2nd from Murray McMurray. They threw in an extra BO and one bonus rare chick which we think is an Easter Egger Roo. Anyway, they are almost 3 weeks old now and you can really see the personality difference between the BOs and the Americaunas. The BOs run right up to my hand and want to be picked up. while the Americaunas are more inclined to "charge" the intruder (my hand). I do manage to pick them up too sometimes but they are definitely more aloof. Enjoy your birds!

6. Mother4Jesus

Jan 1, 2012
    New York
    OH thanks for sharing this. I'm hoping that these are very friendly birds. I have two little ones and I want them to be involved. The other chickens we had, Red Stars, were NOT friendly..and the Roo was really mean.

7. gcbsmommy

gcbsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    Glad to be an encouragement! I think the key is picking them up and handling them every day. At least, that has proven true for us so far and is what I have heard from friends with chickens.

BTW we have some things in common! I love Jesus, have 4 children, and homeschool as well! :) Would have loved to home birth and am an avid cross stitcher (on linen) in lieu of sewing. ;) Have a great day!

8. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    We got 8 Buff Orpingtons and 8 Barred Rocks 3 weeks ago. They are such fun. The Barred Rocks, in general, are more bold than the BO's (in our bunch). All of them are sweet birds though. Now, fingers crossed that we don't have too many roos.

9. Mother4Jesus

Jan 1, 2012
    New York
    Ohhh..Cross stitching...I've wanted to learn. I love all things crafty and it seems my 4 y/o daughter, (My 3rd child) is the same way. Every day she asks, "Do you have a craft for me?". LOL
    My little ones are so excited about the chickens. I'm teaching them this week what we'll need to do and not do, when they get here. I have two older children, that I Homeschooled through high school and now i've got a 4 y/o and a 2 y/o. The Lord has a sense of humor with my hubby and I. I've got two sets of children. LOL

Chickens are the topic for the next few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by