1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

15 chicks coming - how big of a coop for 15 standard hens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AliP, Mar 27, 2015.

1. AliP

AliP Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    Hello, and Happy Friday!

I'm a first time (soon to be) chicken mom...and am getting a little crazy.

I bought/ordered a 4x6 coop from a local Amish gentleman and am scheduled to pick it up tomorrow. I decided this week that I want my girls to have more room and am "trading up" to either 6x8 or 8x8. (I think)

My questions:
    ~ what size would you recommend? I'm certain that it's not 4x6 which is what the man who sold it to me recommended for 12-15 hens.
    ~ will this crazy ever go away? Last evening my husband (God bless him) was talking to one of our friends who has hens - and 4 coops, to accommodate her ever growing flock - got off the phone and asked, "why is it that chickens make women nuts?" Of course he's also the one making a special trip to check on a larger coop (no phone for the builder)...good man I have there!

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to "meeting" you - I will (I'm sure) be here often in the coming weeks/months/lifetime!

Alison

2. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Hi Ali

I think the rule of thumb is 4 square feet per bird, so ideally, you'd be looking at 60 square feet. I would always opt for a size up from what you think you'll need.

We've got 7 hens in a 4x6 coop. They're fine, but it's not like they've got room for company.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the 8x8. The cost difference between 6x8 and 8x8 is likely minimal, and you'll be happy your girls have plenty of room.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    8x8.

4. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    8' x 8' is a reasonable size. Standard lumber cuts make this practical as well. Make sure you put two roosting bars each 8' long across the whole coop for a total of 16' of roosting bar. In my opinion, safe and comfortable sleeping is the major function of the coop.

5. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Ive got 13 chicks, with possible few guinea's to add to the mix.. 15 total.. I first built a 4x8 with thought of 10 birds,, that's turned into possible 15 now, having already framed out the 4x8, I decided to build "an addition" 4x5.. with a slightly higher roof,, that's gonna be the "bedroom" for the girls.. leaving the 4x8 for feed and nesting...they are going to have about a 10x20 run and will free range em most of the year, but for winter... funny how this has turned into bigger and more birds,, it is a lot of fun tho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by