15 chicks=what size brooder?

queeniekq

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2017
Just made our coop and need some help. Chicks are coming on the March 17 and I need to know what size of galvanized steel tube to get. They will stay here til they go into their coop. They are all RIR. Thanks for your help.

Since they are your only birds, if electric can be used in the coop you could just brood in the coop and skip a separate brooder all together -- do you have a secondary use for the tub when you are done brooding -- purchasing a galvanized tub to use for 4-6 weeks is quite an investment.
That being said - you should allow at least 1- 1.5 square feet of floor space per chick and remember to deduct the space occupied by feed/water stations, etc.

Where are you located?I will need to have mine indoors when they arrive due to climate & my coop layout.I plan on starting in the largest plastic storage tub I can find. You can split into multiple tubs if you need to rather than the investment of galvanized.

Last edited:
How are you planning to warm your chicks? Using light makes it harder to have sufficient space inside and outside the "warm zone" than does a brooder plate, heat pad, etc - making it more important to have more space than less.

I live in the Mojave desert in ca. I am so nervous about having them in the coop that far away from us. Can I start them in the broader then in 2 weeks move them to the coop? Thank you all!!!

Hi,
Here is the profile page for BYCer gander007. He lives and raises poultry in Death Valley, CA. He can help you with any heat related issues you may encounter with your chicks. He is both a BYC Greeter and a BYC Friend.
Translated, he is friendly and helpful to all BYCers, esp. newcomers. Send him a private message with your questions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/242657/gander007

Best,
Karen

By the time they are 3 weeks old, I like to give them at lease 2 s.f./chick. The smaller the brood of chicks, the more important it is to give them more s.f./chick IMO. When their flight feathers come in, they just love to fly, and IMO, they should have opportunity to do so.

I live in the Mojave desert in ca. I am so nervous about having them in the coop that far away from us. Can I start them in the broader then in 2 weeks move them to the coop? Thank you all!!!

You can, but really they will acclimate faster if you just start them outside from the start, and you won't need to purchase a tub to use for just two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom