15 chicks=what size brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by queeniekq, Feb 21, 2017.

1. queeniekq

queeniekq New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    Just made our coop and need some help. Chicks are coming on the March 17 and I need to know what size of galvanized steel tube to get. They will stay here til they go into their coop. They are all RIR. Thanks for your help.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Since they are your only birds, if electric can be used in the coop you could just brood in the coop and skip a separate brooder all together -- do you have a secondary use for the tub when you are done brooding -- purchasing a galvanized tub to use for 4-6 weeks is quite an investment.
    That being said - you should allow at least 1- 1.5 square feet of floor space per chick and remember to deduct the space occupied by feed/water stations, etc.

3. Justso

Justso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicagoland DuPage Co
    Where are you located?I will need to have mine indoors when they arrive due to climate & my coop layout.I plan on starting in the largest plastic storage tub I can find. You can split into multiple tubs if you need to rather than the investment of galvanized.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How are you planning to warm your chicks? Using light makes it harder to have sufficient space inside and outside the "warm zone" than does a brooder plate, heat pad, etc - making it more important to have more space than less.

5. queeniekq

queeniekq New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    I live in the Mojave desert in ca. I am so nervous about having them in the coop that far away from us. Can I start them in the broader then in 2 weeks move them to the coop? Thank you all!!!

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Here is the profile page for BYCer gander007. He lives and raises poultry in Death Valley, CA. He can help you with any heat related issues you may encounter with your chicks. He is both a BYC Greeter and a BYC Friend.
    Translated, he is friendly and helpful to all BYCers, esp. newcomers. Send him a private message with your questions.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/242657/gander007

Best,
    Karen

1 person likes this.
  7. caboodleschicks

caboodleschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    South Carolina
    How many weeks are you going to let them stay inside, so I can know what size the brooder needs to be. Because they will grow rapidly.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    By the time they are 3 weeks old, I like to give them at lease 2 s.f./chick. The smaller the brood of chicks, the more important it is to give them more s.f./chick IMO. When their flight feathers come in, they just love to fly, and IMO, they should have opportunity to do so.

9. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    You can, but really they will acclimate faster if you just start them outside from the start, and you won't need to purchase a tub to use for just two weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by