15 Darkling (mealworm) beetles (+egg-rich substrate)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by shelleyd2008, Sep 30, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I just went to give my wormies some potato and realized that I've got a ton of bugs!! Each female bug is capable of laying up to 500 eggs in her lifetime, so I don't think I need so many!

Up for auction are 15+ Darkling beetles. Darkling beetles are the adult forms of the mealworm. These bugs are very easy to care for, basically all they need is a healthy substrate (mine have flock raiser and fruity pebbles [​IMG]) and some type of liquid (quartered potatoes work well) to start your own meal worm production.

Meal worms can be used as treats or food for birds, small mammals, and reptiles. I will include some of their substrate which should have eggs in it as well. Eggs take 4-19 days to hatch.

Here is a site with information on the life cycle of the Darkling beetle: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/insects/beetles/mealworm/mealwormlifecycle.shtml

Priority
    shipping is $6 any where in the lower 48. Shipping to AK or HI extra.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It looks like your meal worms really like fruity pebbles. [​IMG]

3. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I've got a colony of them too, I have been thinking about trying to raise them on my quail food rather than the oatmeal and flaxseed they are on.

How do the fruity pebbles work?? What advantage is there to using sweet colored cereal?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I don't know, I just put it in there because it was getting old [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by