1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

15 day old Campbells out in 50 drizzle!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, May 5, 2009.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Is this wierd.

Monastery's 15 day old K Campbells are playing outside under their rain shelter, even though it is only 50 and drizzling out. They are loving their swimming water.

I am a bit concerned, but they seem to be happy.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    As long as they have a place to warm up if they get chilled, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    My ducks went outside in 30 degree weather (with a heat lamp they never used!) at 3 weeks and are as healthy as horses. They like the cold better I think, and WET!!

4. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:I am particularly grateful for your input, headred.

Nice to see another who has Campbells in some quantity. We have 14 right now. No. 15 died on the trip [​IMG].

I am impressed. 30 degrees, and shunned the heat lamp. It is amazing how fast they grow. That surely must help with heat. I still have two 250 watt heat lamps roaring in their uninsulated 6 x 4 brooder coop.

5. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I didn' worry too much because they kept huddled so well. I am noticing that even with 70 degree days now, they seem hot. Not huddling so much and even seem to pant. Think about it, how warm are we with a DOWN comforter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by