1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

15 Days old and yogurt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by toyzbox, May 4, 2009.

1. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    If I give them yogurt, do they still need grit??

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I think yogurt falls into the no grit needed category like egg yolk crumbles.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Nope, they don't need grit for yogurt. I always begin to offer it when I give yogurt, which is the first treat I give young ones, just because it's easy to do and grit is inexpensive, and it doens't hurt them to have it. But it's absolutely NOT necessary. Enjoy your babies! THey grow SO fast!

4. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    OMG you're are not kidding. I feed them in the morning and leave to start the laundry. I come back about an hour later and I swear they are bigger. [​IMG]
    Gotta love'em. I've heard of mixing some grit into the yogurt. Sounds like a good way to get them started. I'm really waiting to be able to give them a worm. I've heard here so much about how funny that is. They are 15 days today. I think I'll wait till the weekend for the worm olympics. [​IMG]

5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Try tossing week olds in with your 3 weekers if you want a shock to your system. LOL [​IMG]

6. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    I have 3 age ranges of chicks...4 wk olds, 3 wk olds, and 2 wk olds. I have given them all yogurt, and have taken them outside to play already. They all LOVE grass and bugs and such. From my comets to my bantys. I make sure they have grit, though I don't let them have free access to it yet, and they are all healthy, happy and growing like crazy! They love playing outside! By the way, I learned that is the best place to give them yogurt...even a wee lil bit. [​IMG]

7. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I gave my two week old chicks yogurt this morning and the silly things wouldn't eat it. They just ran through it and spread it all over their brooder. Then the others were pecking it off each others feet. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by