15+ Icelandic Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by The Sheriff, Nov 8, 2010.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    UPDATE: The eggs are all spoken for through the middle of December. If anyone backs out or the girls keep laying I'll post again. Thanks for all the interest.

TEST HATCHER NEEDED: (Please don't hit the Buy-It-Now button. PM if you want the eggs. I am not charging for the eggs, just $15.00 for shipping)

I have 15+ Icelandic eggs that need to be incubated. I am looking for someone interested in the preservation of the breed to take these eggs and incubate them. They are pullet eggs and the fertility rate on them has not been great at 50-60%. Actual hatch rates are excellent though. I would like to see how these do when shipped and if the fertility has improved. I re-homed a rooster last week and my flock roo seems to have settled down and is "dating" more and fighting less. If you would like to try to hatch yourself some Icelandics send me a PM. I hope someone who follows this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=299038&p=1 will want them. Please don't ask for the eggs of your interest is in crossbreeding or selling hatching eggs as the next big thing. I am part of a movement aimed at preserving this critically endangered breed of chicken. The chickens are especially cold hearty, good foragers, good setters, and they lay a medium white egg. They are independent little creatures, will fly over most fences and are not particularly fond of being handled beyond the juvenile age. There is no standard. One hen can lay eggs that hatch multiple colored chicks. The adult birds are medium sized, can have yellow or slate legs, may be crested or non-crested, and have white earlobes. The combs vary from bird to bird. You can read the thread for information about how I acquired the birds and their history in the U.S.

I would ship Priority Mail tomorrow or Wednesday depending on when I select a buyer. I cannot guarantee hatch or fertility rates. I will pack the eggs as carefully as possible. I reserve the right to cancel the auction if an appropriate buyer is not found.

These are the chicks that hatched yesterday and today:
    [​IMG]

They take motherhood very seriously:

[​IMG]

Here are some of the roos, hens, and pullets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I hope someone tests these eggs as I want the eggs that you'll ship on the 6th or 7th of December to set on the 11th of December for
    Mahonri's 2nd Annual New Years Day Hatch.

I'll be moving some of my other birds to make room for the Icelandics... and we'll see how they do in the heat!

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Mary, that first picture made me laugh! [​IMG]

4. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Which one, the babies or Lukka and her big, fat, 17 week old "baby."

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:I already have a buyer for these eggs. I have put the girls on notice that nobody better stop laying in the next month because I want to watch Mahonri stress over hatching their eggs. You know how well they listen.

[​IMG]

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Oh no ..... not again.... [​IMG]

I hope you have your Valium RX refilled before hand.

7. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Shoot, I'll give it a shot. It ought to be something, all the way from CA to IN. That should be a good test. I've got two incubators going now, and a third one in the mail.

8. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I give you alot of credit for what you are doing for this breed!

9. aukuma

aukuma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    W PA
    [​IMG] If you have any left, I'd be interested in a batch the week of 12/12. Just let me know via pm and I'll send payment via paypal! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by