15 Indoor Basement Birds

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ARTofGROWINchix, Mar 11, 2014.

1. ARTofGROWINchix

ARTofGROWINchix Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Before anyone chimes in about human health or avian respiratory health, let me say that I am an HVAC technician and installer for many years and consider myself a true pro. I love what I do. I love tools. And I love building things.

I purchased 5 Buff Orpingtons, 5 Barred Rock, and 5 Silver Wyandottes from Meyer Hatchery. One Buff Orpington arrived not wanting to eat, not interested in living and we lost her.

The rest I feed Purina non medicated chick starter. I give them mealworms (20 ounces dried for $15.00 at Lowe's) and some of what I call "fancy" seed. Quinoa, white millet, etc.

I also juice daily and they love eating the pulp that comes out of my juicer. And very rarely when my worm numbers get too high in my worm farm, I feed them a handful and they go absolutely nuts.

http://imgur.com/WVkfO6F

You can see the wooden plenum I built hanging about their holding pen. It hold a Merv 8 20"X30"X1" pleated filter. I attached it to a 6" inline blower I had left over from my other endevours so it pulls air through the filer. The blower is rated for 380 CFM which is more than sufficient to circulate the air often enough to catch all the dander and molting feathers.

There they are in their 80 square foot holding pen. I live on Long Island, NY and as soon as it gets a little warmer outside, I'm going to build them an outdoor run and allow them to free range daily.

They are all about 8 weeks right now. They devour food instantly and are growing fast.

http://i.imgur.com/0pHth5q.jpg

Here is a picture of my veggie garden. I have 1600W of MH growing tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, habanero peppers, watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, wheatgrass, and other things........

http://i.imgur.com/k8MbJ7k.jpg

Those are the strawberries.

I'm trying to be a self sufficient as possible. Not a fan of processed foods or the supermarket.

I also have a night blooming jasmine to freshen up the scent of the chickens.

They hardly smell to begin with because I take such good care of them, but the jasmine really covers the rest.

Feel free to check in and ask anything you want. I can also help you anything you may be wanting to build.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Wow, it sounds like all your talents and interests are a great combination - chickens, building, gardening and worm farming. Yes, I'm sure your chickens are most excited about your worm farming pursuits. Nice setup for controlling the dust inside. Come spring, your chickens will love their big holding pen, too.

1 person likes this.
  3. ARTofGROWINchix

Dec 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Both the chickens and myself cannot wait until spring!

I'm sure they will be much happier...

Question. It seems I've been sent a male Buff Orpington. His name is "Rooster Boy"..

Since I was looking to produce only unfertilized eggs, about when should I begin to separate Rooster Boy from the rest of the ladies?

They become sexually mature around 13 weeks correct?

4. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

You can wait until you see Rooster Boy actually mounting the hens, until then, NO PROBLEMS! And it can be as late as 6-7 months....

It is so cool that you can have your birds on Long Island! :yesss: I have never been there, but I picture ALL of NYC to be nothing but buildings... :p

ooops, the girls will not start laying until 6-7-8 months too.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You could separate him a few weeks before pullets typically start to lay which is around 20 week old at the earliest. I'm curious why you prefer unfertilized eggs. I had the coop with and without roosters at various times, and I didn't notice a difference in taste or texture between fertilized vs. unfertilized eggs.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

What a great set up! And you're growing vegetables and fruit too! Congrats!! [​IMG]

7. ARTofGROWINchix

Dec 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    frog - Thanks. I won't worry about it. And I am equally psyched about having chickens on Long Island. Planning on producing 85 eggs a week!

scratch - I don't necessarily mind either way. I am worried about neighbors complaining when Rooster Boy makes noise though...

I will keep you all posted when the warm weather arrives...

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Rooster boy will be just as noisy (possibly more) if separated from the hens but not re-homed. As for the fertilized/unfertiilzed issue, that won't matter as long as you don't allow your hens to actually go broody and set a clutch of eggs - you can consume fertilized but unset eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by