15 month hen has never laid

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kirkster5, May 12, 2010.

1. kirkster5

kirkster5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    I have a flock of 9 hens and 1 rooster. They are of mixed ages between 3 years and 15 months. All the hens but one started laying when they were supposed to and have laid consistently ever since. The one hen that has never laid is at the bottom of the pecking order and I was wondering if that may be the reason. Any thoughts?

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Are you sure she's not a he? Sometimes a very submissive rooster never crows or develops male traits if there is another, more dominant rooster. Good luck.

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I had one of those, actually more than one. I thought it might be from inbreeding since I bought the eggs on ebay.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What breed are your hens?

5. kirkster5

Apr 7, 2008
    I knew someone would go the "are you sure she is not a he route" [​IMG] Its a she allright as her sister is a darn near exact copy and no spurs/comb/wattle/down pointing feathers etc...etc.... I know my Rooster's and she is not one.

6. kirkster5

Apr 7, 2008
    The one in question is an Ameracauna.

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Ok, if you insist. [​IMG] I just know that many experienced chicken owners have been fooled by a rooster that looked like a hen.

How do you know that she's never laid an egg? Can you separate her from the rest of the flock for a few weeks?

8. kirkster5

Apr 7, 2008
    My wife and I know the color of each of our hens eggs. She has never "nested". I'm really looking for answers as to why she may not be laying. I Know with 100% certainty that she does not lay so that's the help I'm looking for. I dont think she is sick as she eats/drinks/acts fine. She is a bit of a loaner as I think she is tired of getting picked on. The other birds really pick on her and even pluck out her tail feathers at times.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Are they out at all (free range) that she could be hiding eggs? My lone chicken doesn't lay very much, but it's because she has a crop injury that makes it difficult for her to keep weight on. If a hen has something going on with her physically, her body will take care of her needs first. Laying eggs is secondary, if you know what I mean.

10. kirkster5

Apr 7, 2008
    They are not free range per se but thier run is 80 feet by 50 feet so lots of room to roam. But nowhere to hide the eggs. Like I say she is picked on a lot and maybe she is just too stressed to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by