15 Month Old Hens Not Laying

chickenman111

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
Here, there, and everywhere
I have 17 hens. 9 Dominiques, 8 Rhode Island Reds, and they haven't layed any eggs for 7 weeks. I did get 1 a week ago. Their 15 months old. They had lost back feathers from roosters mounting them and I switched them to eating mainly fodder ( half barley half field peas ).Once they starfed eating fodder they began growing feathers back. Now their feathers are grown back and only the 1 egg.
Should I give them sunflower seed fodder, more calcium. please help.

One more question. My hens should for sure lay again right ? there's no reason they would stop laying forever at their age right. I just want to make sure. I appreciate all of your help.

They should lay again, since they are young hens.

I suppose a hen could get a disease or something to stop her from laying, but that would be rare.

You said you have 17 hens, and you said 10 are starting to squat. Did you specifically count them?

I have 17 hens. 9 Dominiques, 8 Rhode Island Reds, and they haven't layed any eggs for 7 weeks. I did get 1 a week ago. Their 15 months old. They had lost back feathers from roosters mounting them and I switched them to eating mainly fodder ( half barley half field peas ).Once they starfed eating fodder they began growing feathers back. Now their feathers are grown back and only the 1 egg.
Should I give them sunflower seed fodder, more calcium. please help.

It seems pretty clear that your chickens are molting. I do not think the change in feed caused the feathers to grow back. You just changed feeds in the middle of the process.

You said it has been 7 weeks without eggs (except 1 egg). Hopefully your hens will soon start laying regularly again.

Back
Top Bottom