15 of 26 Chicks Dead

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chad the Chicken Man, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Songster

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    Hey guys, I got my baby chicks today and 15 of the 26 were dead, and there are about 4 more that are so weak they cant even hold there heads up, I feed them some wet food and put suger in there water, and even put a drop of honey in there mouth. I got them from Mcmurray Hatchery, and I've herd that there suppose to be the best hatchery around, now I kinda wonder what to expect? This is my first time with chickens and I did alot of research before jumping into it, its just kind of a let down when you get all excited and get home and open the box and 3/4th's of your batch are laying there stiff as a board. I talked to a lady at mcmurray today and she told me to call tomorrow and give her the total amount dead. I guess I will have to see what happens from there.[​IMG]

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They could have easily gotten too hot being shipped this time of the year. McMurray will definitely make it right; however, please don't blame the hatchery. Im sure they were very healthy when they left their hands.

Shipping can be tough on chicks.

3. Chad the Chicken Man

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    Yea I know its not there fault, its just kind of a let down, I was so excited when I herd the chicks peeping at the post office, I couldnt wipe the smile off my face, then 5 mins later at home I open the box and was like you have to be kidding me. It's just so sad...

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I'm sorry [​IMG] Don't they ship out the chicks on Saturday? Seems like the PO took an awful long time. I got mine from them 7 weeks ago and only lost 1 out of 32.

5. Chad the Chicken Man

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    they said it would ship between the week of aug 4th(tue) threw the 8th(sat). I called them on tue because I was so excited and wanted to see if they shipped or not and they said there either being shipped tue night or wed. So I dont think the shipping time had anything to do with it. but I dont know. Ill just get the final count tomorrow and give them a call, I hope they treat me right... and not think Im lieing or anything like that. because when I called the lady today she was like WOW thats not right for that to be happening. So i hope everything just gets taken care of the right way:/

6. Chad the Chicken Man

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    Update 18 of 26 chicks dead

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    OH KNOW!!! That's horrible - especially for your first experience.

It's for that very reason that I got mine from my local feed store. I didn't want to be the one to open the box. Though, my feed store ordered 100 chicks from Privit in New Mexico in Feb 09 and only 1 was DOA.

I really hope the remainder make it and the next shipment goes better.

8. Chad the Chicken Man

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    Well thanks for your support, I hope they all make it too!!! its so sad

9. Call McMurry and tell them the problem and they will probably have you wait a week or so to see who makes it and they will replace them....but don't wait to call them and make sure you get the name of the person you spoke to as i had a problem and when I called back I did not know who I spoke to and I had to start all over again. Good luck !!

10. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Songster

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Don't wait until tomorrow. Call them immediately and let them know what is going on. Something must have happened to those babies in transit. Either they were left in a hot vehicle or bounced extremely roughly or something. I got a shipment from McMurray just a month ago and haven't lost a single bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: