15+ Paint Silkie/or Showgirl Eggs!! Many Pics! Starts @ $1! FREE SHIP!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Shayna, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I have decided to offer a HOLIDAY SPECIAL with this auction for FREE PRIORITY SHIPPING!!! [​IMG] I will waive the 13.00 shipping fee for the winning bidder and send the eggs USPS priority mail. Paypal payment for amount of winning bid due the day the auction closes.

15+ Paint Eggs, with possibility of hatching showgirls! I have updated this auction from 10+ to 15+ eggs since my hens are laying really well right now! There will likely be several extras beyond 15. See second post below for updated egg count. I will include anything laid up until I ship!!!

I have 3 hens currently laying in my paint flock and my incubator is full, so I’m selling eggs laid November 17th - 27th. Shipping will be Friday, November 25th, Monday, November 28th, buyers choice.

Since I cannot control the hens laying, if they do not lay what I anticipate, buyer will have option to cancel sale or wait for the additional eggs.
    I will individually wrap each egg and package with care. I will not mark it as eggs, since I’ve heard too many instances of boxes marked eggs having more “accidents” but will mark the box as fragile.

Paints do not breed true, but they seem to be hatching out a lot of paints. All 4 of my breeding roos are paint (one is a showgirl), and I have 2 paint hens, and one black hen laying. Pictures of them are below. They do throw some blue or black chicks. It is fairly unpredictable at this time, but I have some gorgeous babies of them. I am going to take some good pics of the babies to add here. All breeders have 5 toes.

The fertility I’m finding in the eggs I’m incubating is great, but I cannot guaranty hatch rates with shipped eggs. As of 11/20 I can see veins in all 13 eggs I put in incubator 11/14-11/16. They will be shipped by USPS Priority Mail, which typically takes 2-3 days. I will not be responsible for any accidents in the mail since I cannot control what happens when they leave. I will ship within continental US only, excluding HI, AK. If your state has restrictions on receiving shipped eggs, please contact me prior to bidding.

If you do not accept my terms, please do not bid. If you have additional questions, I’ll be happy to answer them!

My breeding roos – all bearded except showgirl, which has bowtie:
    Showgirl Roo
    [​IMG]
    Paint Roo 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Paint Roo 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Paint Roo 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The girls:

Dottie (only not-bearded hen)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buffy (she does have some small spots, great fluff)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Olive (black hens tend to help keep dark pigmentation in paint offspring)
    [​IMG]
    Olive with a roo
    [​IMG]

The girls hard at work:
    Dottie & Olive
    [​IMG]
    Buffy
    [​IMG]
    Roo 2 and 3 with Dottie and Olive:
    [​IMG]

Babies:
    [​IMG]
    same 2 chicks now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Newest hatch 11/14
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    All three girls laid 11/17! If this girls keep this up, there might be a lot of extra eggs with this auction! Since more eggs have been collected than I originally expected when this auction was posted, I will give winning bidder an option to have the eggs shipped Friday 11/25 since mail runs all weekend, even when postal offices are closed. The eggs then *should* arrive Monday 11/28. Or, I can wait until Monday 11/28 to ship and collect any additional eggs over the weekend! [​IMG]

I will update here with egg count:
    11/17 - 3 eggs
    11/18 - 2 eggs
    11/19 - 2 eggs
    11/20 - 3 eggs
    11/21 - chicken vacation day
    11/22 - 3 eggs
    11/23 - 2 eggs

Total eggs collected so far: 15 [​IMG] Any additional eggs collected from now to shipping will be extras, and I've been getting 2-3 most days! [​IMG]

*The eggs generally are pretty clean, and I do not wash them unless requested.*

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  3. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    So the oldest egg will be approximately 2 weeks old when they arrive?

4. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:Yes, the oldest egg laid today, would be near 2 weeks old. If the package is shipped on 11/28, it will most likely be delivered 11/30, making the first egg 13 days old. There are no guarantees with shipping eggs, but these could provide a very nice hatch.

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Are you aware that eggs are only viable for a maximum of 10 days?

6. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:No, I've read that eggs can do well for up to two weeks -or even longer - if stored in a cool dark place. I also switch sides on propping the carton 2x a day to make sure that they are rotated. I put all my dates in here of when I can ship and when the eggs are laid so any bidders have this information. I do everything I can to make sure the eggs are viable.
    I have purchased eggs from a reputable BYC member when the weather was hot and laying was slow, and I was sent eggs just as old, so I am not aware that this is uncommon.
    Please do not bid if you are not comfortable with the age of the eggs. I can only collect as many a day as the girls can lay. I am not going to throw eggs out that are perfectly good. I started the bidding at $1 with full disclosure.

Odd that you also have paint eggs up for auction and you're posting on my auction to say my eggs aren't going to be viable. [​IMG]

I encourage any bidders to do their own research and bid as you wish.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  7. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    Yes, Eggs are viable for 2-3 weeks. I had a friend that had some eggs that she collected and they were almost 3 weeks old and she didn't want to throw them away so I took them and put them in the incubator and not kidding you, they were almost all still fertile. I was amazed. Also, I shipped out some eggs and they got lost for 2 weeks and the USPS finally found them and finally got them where they needed to be and even though I resent eggs , I told her to just throw them into the incubator and see what happens and most of them ended up hatching we couldn't believe it. So, yes they are/can be viable for 2-3 weeks.
    Obviously the fresher the better but don't just throw out those 2-3 week old eggs as it's very possible they are still fine as long as they have been stored properly [​IMG]

8. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    You have very pretty paints. A lot of paints that I have seen have only been notable for color not type. Do you have a lot of champagne frosting in your flock? Have you shown any of them yet? If so, how did they do?
    If you want to PM me and talk that way it would be fine.

9. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:Hi emmalyn - I'll answer here since others may have the same question. I'll PM for questions specific to an individual. I have the one male rooster that has a lot of champagne frosting. He is very pretty, he has a sheen that is gorgeous in the light, but I am trying to work out the champagne color, while others prefer it. I am actually planning to sell him locally since I have 4 roos in my flock. (not comfortable yet shipping live birds) The showgirl roo has quite a bit on his head and some on his body, as the pictures show. Buffy the hen has a very light frost to her, but she is absolutely beautiful. Paints are a relatively new development in silkie coloring and still a work in progress. Roo #1 in the pictures is the ladies favorite and he has such nice spots, and not too much frosting, but some around the head which is common. He's such a gentleman he goes into the coop with the ladies and makes nests for them when they're laying. So sweet.
    I have not shown the paints yet, and since they are such a new color, they are not yet a recognized color to show. The idea behind breeding paints is to get the white color very white, the black spots large, with no pigment holes, and good type. I would love to show them someday when it's a possibility. The American Paint Silkie thread has tons of great info on them too.
    I also wanted to say thank you for the nice compliments on my flock! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You should consider showing Dottie she has very nice coloring. She can be shown in AOV class since the paints are not a recognized color yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by