1. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    So I have to be frugal when it comes to chicken coop maintenance and I haven't been able to buy a timer, UNTIL yesterday!! I found an indoor/outdoor Christmas decoration TIMER for $15. It has two channels so my husband connected it to our light and it works!! We bought ours at Fred Meyer, only in Alaska and the West Coast but if you look around before Christmas, you may find something similar!

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Lowe's has all kinds of them--some for about $7. I got one with 48 on/off setting for 12 or $13.

3. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    The one I use from Lowes was $5 or $6. It's a mechanical one where you pull up/push down some little tabs to set the on or off. I have a more expensive, electronic one I use on my Christmas lights, but the cheap ones work just as well, especially if you're not changing the schedule from day to day.

4. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Same goes for Wal Mart. Got the cheap dial timer and it's worked great.

5. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    I NEVER knew this, I thought they were over $60 this entire winter??!! I spent countless days trudging out in the -30 degree weather to turn lights on and then turn off at night...I guess I proved to my family that my chickens are here to stay....sheesh. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by