15 week old Buff Orpington: cockerel or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jeronica, Nov 25, 2013.

1. jeronica

jeronica Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2013
    Kirkland, WA
    I have three Buff Orpingtons (and also three Australorps) that I got when just a day old. I was told there might be a 10% chance of getting a rooster, but I was really hoping that wouldn't be the case. All three BO are sweet, curious, and friendly, wanting to climb on my lap and eat from my hand, but one (named Popcorn) is starting to look distinctly red around the comb and wattles. I haven't heard any crow attempts yet, but maybe you guys can make a more educated guess?

All were hatched August 15, so just coming up on 15 weeks old. Is it too early to tell? Should I give Popcorn another month?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    looks like a girl to me, no pointed saddle feathers, sickle feathers.. all the feathers look round to me. I vote girl!

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Looks like a maturing pullet to me too. BO's hens can also have some pointier hackle feathers, but more importantly I see no saddle developing and no spiky tail cascade...I think all hen...she is just starting to mature...hens get red combs and wattles too as they come to sexual maturity. They just don't mature as early as the roos nor get as large a comb and wattle as the roos.

She may be your first layer.

Lady of McCamley

4. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    N.o pointy saddle feathers and thin, tight to the head comb. At this stage a roo would have a decent, red comb and wattleS

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a female. She's just reaching sexual maturity, that comb will plump up a lot and turn redder as she gets ready to lay eggs.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Nope, she looks like a pullet to me. The comb and wattles naturally get larger/redder as chickens (both male and female) mature, especially before egg laying.

7. She looks like a pretty pullet!

8. jeronica

jeronica Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2013
    Kirkland, WA
    Well thanks, everyone! [​IMG] Our lives will be much easier for not having to rehome a surprise rooster! [​IMG]

9. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Looks like my BO hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by