15 week old chicks making weird noise...crowing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tlco, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    I have saveral 15 week old batam chicks, 2 of which are roo's for sure maybe a third its a silkie so dont know. I don't know who is making the noise, they stop when i go outside. Early in the morning for the last few mornings I have heard one of them making a squawking/choking (lack of better word) sound. Kind of really sounds like it is choking or strangling....Could this be an atempt at crowing this early? Or is something more serious going on?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Anyway you can record it?

Very well could be an attempt to crow[​IMG] A rooster will crow at all hours of day/night. When a cockerel is first attempting to crow it can sound strangled.

Since the "noise" stops when you go outside to check, this is most likely what it is. If it were something like a respiratory illness or true choking, it would continue when you were there.

3. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    Don't think I can record as it dosnt happen at regular times where I can be prepared. Matter fact no noise this morn that I heard. Thank you for info will continue to watch them make sure no one is sick...[​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I think that you are hearing young fella(s) trying out their crow. They do sound funny at that age. The girls will start to make peep-honk-cluck sounds too. This is a fun time when they transition, so enjoy the "noise"[​IMG]

5. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    It's crowing he was doing it when I went to wrk at 530am this morn...

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG] Glad to hear!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by